[SOLVED] Debugging custom board at 1.8V

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• [SOLVED] Debugging custom board at 1.8V

Hi,

I would like to debugg my Nordic (nRF52832) custom board at 1.8V with a 6 pin Tag-connect connector (see here) and have a couple of questions regarding this.

From what I can gather, the nRF 52 DK allows for debugging of external targets at 3V, but not at other voltages. However, some parts on my board will need to be operated at 1.8V and will get damaged if a higher voltage is applied. Hence, I'm looking for a solution to debug at 1.8V.

From what I have read in the Nordic forums I would need a J-link programmer that supports debugging at 1.8V. Then, in order to use the Tag-connect connection I would then have to buy the Tag-connect cable, as well as a suitable adapter for the J-link Programmer (see here).

Is this the most straightforward solution?
    If so, which J-link programmer is suitable for my application?

Best,
    Nick
  • Hello Nick,

Thank you for your inquiry.
    J-Link debug probes generally support voltage ranges from 1.2 V - 5 V. So 1.8 V debugging is supported by J-Link.
    However if it is supported by the target device should be described in the nRF52 user manual. For additional information we suggest contacting Nordic support.

An overview of all our debug probes can be found here: segger.com/products/debug-prob…nk/models/model-overview/

Is this the most straightforward solution?

Generally we do not recommend using 3rd party cables as quality and functionality may vary.
    To make sure your J-Link does not get damaged and that the adapter is guaranteed to work we offer a broad set of different adapters, isolators etc. ourselves so our customers are not relying on unknown third party brands.
    More information about our 6-pin needle adapter can be found here: segger.com/products/debug-prob…ers/6-pin-needle-adapter/
    Shoplink: shop.segger.com/20_Pin_to_6_Pin_Needle_Adapter_p/8.06.16.htm

If so, which J-link programmer is suitable for my application?

A J-Link Base is sufficient for debugging and basic programming. If you are using the J-Link for a private or educational project the J-Link EDU can also be used.

Best regards,
    Nino
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.
  • Hi Nino
    Thanks for the quick reply.
    The 6-pin needle connector with a j-link adapter is exactly what I was looking for. Is it also available without the legs (just the pins and locating pins)?
    The j-link EDU seems to be the best solution for my case.
    Best,
    nick
  • Hello Nick,

Is it also available without the legs (just the pins and locating pins)?

Currently not. We will discuss internally if it might be added to our portfolio as we already had a couple of interested customers.
    For now most of our Needle-Adapter customers simply removed the "legs" themselves by breaking them off.

Best regards,
    Nino
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.