[SOLVED] Can't get J-Link to connect to my IMX31 board; stuck on reset?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• [SOLVED] Can't get J-Link to connect to my IMX31 board; stuck on reset?

Hello I managed to bring-up my J-Link EDU probe and attached it to my NXP imx31 board using an Olimex arm-jtag 20-10 pin adaptor. I made sure my configuration settings in Segger Ozone were properly set for imx31 with ARM6 instruction set. However I receive the following error when attempting to connect:

J-Link: Could not measure total IR len. TDO is constant high.
    Connection failed

I also noticed that the status light on the J-Link is orange which I heard is an indicator that the reset pin is being held high on the device side. I assume that the J-Link cannot connect properly if it's being held in reset state. Can anyone please provide possible diagnoses?

Attached is a screenshot of the JLink.exe application output.
    Images
    • JLink_Error.png

60.98 kB, 900×1,030, viewed 878 times
  • Hello,

Thank you for your inquiry.
    Such an issue is not known to us.
    Attached is a successful connect to the iMX31 eval board that we have here.

Is the target voltage of 1.8 V expected? That seems a bit low. Make sure not low power mode gets triggered that way that could lock out the debug interface.
    The eval board we used is a LOGIC Zoom™ i.MX31 LITEKIT base board and a i.MX31 SOM-LV as the module.
    Compare the schematics of your board with this one and see if you can find any differences.

We noticed that you are using a J-Link EDU and you have contacted us earlier through a company e-mail.
    Are you using the J-Link EDU for a commercial project? Keep in mind that this would violate the license agreement.

Best regards,
    Nino
    Images
    • Capture.PNG

29.17 kB, 677×618, viewed 393 times
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.
  • Hi Nino,

Sorry, I grabbed the J-Link from a bin and didn’t realize it wasn’t a commercial version. It must have been used for trial before we bought the commercial ones. I found a commercial version in storage and its serial number is 50112856. I am using it now and put away the EDU one.

Turns out the connection issue was that a couple of our pins didn't match the standard configuration and we put in an adaptor to fix this. I am now facing a different issue. The J-Link connects successfully but I cannot download or attach to a running debug program. I get the following output from Ozone:

J-Link: Device "IMX31" selected.
    J-Link: TotalIRLen = 18, IRPrint = 0x002011
    J-Link: At least one of the connected devices is not JTAG compliant (IEEE Std 1149.1, 7.1.1.d, IR-cells). (NumDevices = 4, NumBitsSet = 3)
    J-Link: JTAG chain detection found 4 devices:
    J-Link: #0 Id: 0x2B900F0F, IRLen: 04, ARM ETB
    J-Link: #1 Id: 0x07B3601D, IRLen: 05, ARM1136 Core
    J-Link: #2 Id: 0x00000001, IRLen: ?, Unknown device
    J-Link: #3 Id: 0x2190101D, IRLen: ?, Unknown device
    J-Link: connected to target device
    J-Link: Can not read register 15 (R13_USR) while CPU is running
    J-Link: Can not read register 9 (R15 (PC)) while CPU is running
    J-Link: connection to target device lost.
    J-Link: disconnected from target device

Maybe I need to customize the script boot sequence and setup the register/memory locations manually? Can you provide a diagnosis and guidance?
  • Hello,

In the meantime we received your inquiry per e-mail from multiple channels as well.
    Keep in mind that this forum is no support forum. There is no guarantee that you will receive an answer from our engineers.
    If you are entitled to support contact us via our official support channels. More information can be found in my signature.
    Please try to keep all information regarding one inquiry in one communication channel otherwise it can come to unnecessary response delays as we have to hunt down all information from different channels.

To eliminate one of this channels this thread will be closed now and further correspondence will be via J-Link support e-mail.

Best regards,
    Nino
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.