[SOLVED] Converting Keil project to a Segger Embedded Studio script

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• [SOLVED] Converting Keil project to a Segger Embedded Studio script

I have a Keil solution which contains several projects that do not cleanly convert to Segger Embedded Studio. This behavior has been validated by selecting both the solution and the individual project during the convert process. The project in question builds a Nordic Semiconductor nrf5 SDK application.

The issue is a RegisterFile node in the project.uvprojx file:
    <RegisterFile>$$Device:nRF52832_xxAA$Device\Include\nrf.h\</RegisterFile>

It appears that the conversion process does nothing with this line resulting in a build error, the nrf.h file can not be resolved. Manually adding the location of nrf.h to the include path of the Segger Embedded Studio project corrects the error. Is the RegisterFile node a new addition to the Keil build script that requires an update to the conversion utilities used by Seeger Embedded Studio? Keil does not include files decorated with the node in its <IncludePath> ... </IncludePath> script line.

Thanks,

Jim Hewitt

The post was edited 7 times, last by jhewitt ().

• Hello,

Thank you for your inquiry.
    We have partnered up with Nordic Semi for a while now and all projects in the latest Nordic SDK are already Embedded Studio compatible, so no porting should be required.
    You can find the corresponding project file under /ses instead of /arm5.

For older Nordic SDK versions please get in contact with Nordic support.

Best regards,
    Nino
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.
  • Hello,

I am aware that Segger has partnered with Nordic for some time now, however my customer has chosen to develop using a Kiel development environment. Because of this It is necessary for me to use the Segger Embedded Studio conversion utilities to port the Kiel solution to a Segger Embedded Studio environment ... or to purchase a Kiel development environment myself.

I was hoping that others in this forrum have had experience with the porting tools that are included in Segger Embedded Studio and may have insights to some of the issues I am encountering in these tools. I have resolved the RegisterFile issue by manually adding the location of nrf.h to the include path and have offered that in my original post as a solution for any one else that has this issue.

I am currently looking for a solution to the uECC issue that Keil has (devzone.nordicsemi.com/f/nordi…g-micro_ecc_lib_nrf52-lib), forcing the use of a library instead of the Nordic SDK directly which causes an unresolved asm_arm.inc error; but from the sounds of your response below, this is not the place to ask such questions.

Jim
  • Hello Jim,

I am aware that Segger has partnered with Nordic for some time now, however my customer has chosen to develop using a Kiel development environment.

Thank you for clarification. This makes more sense now.
    If you are only looking to debug the Keil application we recommend using our cross-platform debugger Ozone which can be used with J-Link Plus or higher for free: segger.com/products/development-tools/ozone-j-link-debugger/
    That way you do not have to port the whole project to Embedded Studio and can debug right away.

If you still need to have the project ported to Embedded Studio you can find a guide on our Wiki: wiki.segger.com/How_to_port_pr…to_SEGGER_Embedded_Studio
    This is a guide for IAR but the basics apply to Keil as well.
    For further assistance we recommend contacting Nordic as they have already done several ports for their SDK this way and should be able to assist you.

Best regards,
    Nino
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.