[SOLVED] shared library not found in GNU/Linux

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• [SOLVED] shared library not found in GNU/Linux

Hi,

We are trying to get the JLink-Plus running with GDB for an ARM embedded system under GNU/Linux, but we encountered an unexpected problem.

The tools and libraries are put into the directories /usr/local/{bin,lib64} as can be seen in the pictures. We followed the documentation (and examples) that is inside the tarball, but for some reason it does not find a (correct) shared library.

It looks like that JLinkGDBserver is looking at the wrong places and even more strange is that it looks for a library in a "bin" directory ?
    We tried to put a soft link in /opt/SEGGER/JLink/ to the shaed librariy in /usr/local/lib64 but even then it does not find the shared library. A directory "/opt" looks deprecated and therefore we like to avoid such optional directory.

Is there anything else we need to do to get the JLinkGDBserver going ?

Thanks in advance !

Armand
    Images
    • libjlinkarm1.png

8.25 kB, 483×74, viewed 235 times
    • libjlinkarm2.png

15.74 kB, 825×94, viewed 284 times
    • libjlinkarm3.png

15.34 kB, 787×91, viewed 254 times
    • libjlinkarm4.png

51.13 kB, 1,047×269, viewed 444 times
  • Hello Armand,

Thank you for your inquiry.
    Does the same issue appear when trying to start the J-Link Commander?
    It is called JLinkExe on Linux.

Best regards,
    Nino
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.
  • jlinkexe results

Hi,

Thx for the quick reply !

As you can see unfortunately (almost) the same results as for JLinkGDBServer ...

If there is anything else I can / should then please let me know.

Br,

Armand
    Images
    • jlinkexe1.png

8.73 kB, 601×53, viewed 235 times
    • jlinkexe2.png

38.47 kB, 1,037×182, viewed 280 times
  • Hello,

The J-Link software package for Linux installs the software per default to /opt/SEGGER/JLink/. This is where some of the tools in the package expect the library to be.
    It is currently not supported to link the library from other locations.
    Makse sure your tools and J-Link libs are in the same folder or the library can be found in the opt/SEGGER/JLink folder.

Best regards,
    Nino

Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

• version5 and 6

Hi Nino,

After some tinkering with older versions I came to the conclusion that version "jlink_linux_v512i_x86_64.tgz" was the ultimate one that is working for me
    (refer to picture version1 and 2). The libraries were even put in /usr/local/lib64 and were made system wide.
    The results were indeed as expected. I had to rename the JLinkGDBServer to JLinkGDBServer5 in order not to use the wrong tool.
    When hereafter "arm-none-eabi-gdb" was started up, then it all worked like a charm.

However versions jlink_linux_v512j_x86_64.tgz and later have still the persisting problem ("could not open jlink shared library") despite your suggestion to use the directory "/opt/SEGGER/JLink" directory (this directory was even made system wide).

For me it means that version 512i will do for now until there is a good solution.

Br,

Armand
    Images
    • version1.png

13.71 kB, 797×110, viewed 251 times
    • version2.png

65.17 kB, 619×616, viewed 291 times
    • version3.png

98.96 kB, 797×597, viewed 277 times
    • version4.png

25.15 kB, 792×162, viewed 261 times
    • version5.png

10.06 kB, 582×74, viewed 230 times
  • Hello Armand,

That the v5.12 Software is working this way is pure coincidence due to some issues in that version.
    We recommend using the latest software version.
    Currently it is mandatory for the library to be in the same folder as the application.
    We will see if this can be expanded to other folders in future.

This thread will be treated as solved now as the initial question has been answered.

Best regards,
    Nino