[SOLVED] JLINK plus on Linux

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• [SOLVED] JLINK plus on Linux

Hi, I am trying to see if I can use a jlink on linux to program my prototype.

I did the .deb install - could not figure out how to start until I grepped and found out the exact spelling of the name is JLink.... depending on what I am starting.

Ok, but how do I give a script file to run on startup? I cannot find a description of command line args (reading UM08001)

Is the gui stuff restricted to running on windows? It appears there is no "linux control panel"?

How do I configure a new entry for my AT91M40800? it is in your supported devices list, but it is not clear what that means, do I still need to edit other files to use it?

The format of JLinkDevices.xml is not clear for the above processor. It is a arm7tdmi device, but there are no examples in that file.

Here is an entry in that file, what would I use for the above device?

Source Code

1. <ChipInfo Vendor="ATMEL" Name="ATSAMA5D21" Core="JLINK_CORE_CORTEX_A5" WorkRAMAddr="0x00200000" WorkRAMSize="0x00020000" JLinkScriptFile="Devices/ATMEL/Atmel_ATSAMA5D2x.pex" />
    2. </Device>

Thanks, Steven
  • Hello Steven,

Ok, but how do I give a script file to run on startup? I cannot find a description of command line args (reading UM08001)

See picture attached.

Is the gui stuff restricted to running on windows? It appears there is no "linux control panel"?

The control panel does not exist as an icon in Linux but is rather implemented in other tools like Ozone or Embedded Studio.

How do I configure a new entry for my AT91M40800? it is in your supported devices list, but it is not clear what that means, do I still need to edit other files to use it?

The correct entry would be as follows:

C Source Code

1. <Device>
    2. <ChipInfo Vendor="Microchip" Name="AT91M40800" Core="JLINK_CORE_ARM7TDMI" JLinkScriptFile="Devices/Microchip/Example.JLinkScript" />
    3. </Device>

Best regards,
    Nino
    Images
    • Capture.PNG

157.08 kB, 833×1,112, viewed 383 times
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.
  • Hi Nino, thank you your reply really helps.

I also discovered the command line options section of your manual. It also illuminated one thing I found very confusing. There are 2 scripting languages, one you call a commanderscript file which is what I type in the terminal stored in a file. The other script is JLinkscriptfile which is sort of C like.

If I edit JLinkDevices.xml to indicate my device as you suggested, will all the JLink* and JFlash* programs use it as a init script? That is will JFlashlite use it to prepare my flash for use?

Thanks, Steven
  • Hello Steven,

If I edit JLinkDevices.xml to indicate my device as you suggested, will all the JLink* and JFlash* programs use it as a init script? That is will JFlashlite use it to prepare my flash for use?

All tools that are in the same folder as the JLinkDevices.xml will reference that file and thus the JLinkScript you have set.

You wrote earlier that you want to program the AT91M40800. What kind of memory do you want to program exactly?
    Currently J-Link supports only the internal SRAM without extra setups. Any external Flash memory needs to be initialized by the user.
    You can either use a CFI compliant Flash and program directly (already supported): wiki.segger.com/Generic_IDE#CFI_flash or wiki.segger.com/J-Link_Command…up_External_CFI_NOR_Flash

If that device has a QSPI interface you can also write a Flashloader to use with J-Link using our Open Flash loader interface: wiki.segger.com/Adding_Support_for_New_Devices

Best regards,
    Nino
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.