[SOLVED] Does j-link support streaming trace with ETM and TPIU on NXP iMX53 quick start board?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• [SOLVED] Does j-link support streaming trace with ETM and TPIU on NXP iMX53 quick start board?

Hi everyone,

I am seeking for a tool which can extract trace data from the TPIU of iMX53 quick start board in real-time. I was told that j-link supports the iMX53 quick start board, but i am not sure whether it also supports the real-time ETM trace data extracting. Does anyone happen to know something about this?

Thanks for any help and discussion.

Best,
    Zhenyu
  • Hello Zhenyu,

Thank you for your inquiry.
    I am seeking for a tool which can extract trace data from the TPIU of iMX53 quick start board in real-time.

That is what a J-Trace PRO Cortex can do: segger.com/products/debug-prob…odels/j-trace-cortex-arm/
    Prerequisite is that a 19- pin trace debug header is available on the target hardware. The NXP iMX53 quick start board does only have the JTAG/SWD 20-pin which does not support ETM streaming trace.

However the iMX53 also has an ETB which can be used to trace the last couple of instructions of the application before a halt.
    This is supported by both J-Link and J-Trace.

More information about the different tracing types can be found in our Wiki: wiki.segger.com/General_information_about_tracing

Best regards,
    Nino
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.
  • SEGGER - Nino wrote:

Hello Zhenyu,

Thank you for your inquiry.
    I am seeking for a tool which can extract trace data from the TPIU of iMX53 quick start board in real-time.

That is what a J-Trace PRO Cortex can do: segger.com/products/debug-prob…odels/j-trace-cortex-arm/
    Prerequisite is that a 19- pin trace debug header is available on the target hardware. The NXP iMX53 quick start board does only have the JTAG/SWD 20-pin which does not support ETM streaming trace.

However the iMX53 also has an ETB which can be used to trace the last couple of instructions of the application before a halt.
    This is supported by both J-Link and J-Trace.

More information about the different tracing types can be found in our Wiki: wiki.segger.com/General_information_about_tracing

Best regards,
    Nino
    Thanks, Nino, it helps a lot!

Best Regards,
    Zhenyu
  • Hello Zhenyu,

Good to hear.
    This thread will now be marked as solved.

Best regards,
    Nino
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.