Zynq 7020 Flash Programming ****** Error: Error while determining flash info (Bank @ 0xFC000000) Unspecified error -1

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Zynq 7020 Flash Programming ****** Error: Error while determining flash info (Bank @ 0xFC000000) Unspecified error -1

Hi,

OT but possibly interesting for other people: I solved the previous problem with the JTAG where it didn't connect at all, apparently there are some electrical differences between the xilinx platform cable USB II and the Segger Flasher ARM so that the second one didn't work on the custom board. 100 Ohm series resistors on the JTAG lines like there are on the zedboard fixed it.

Now I can successfully connect, write simple instructions to increment a register in a loop, set the PC and step and see the register value incrementing (as was suggested in another thread).

The next step is finally flashing the Flash memory, however I get this error

J-Link>loadbin C:\Users\Raffaele\Desktop\flash\BOOT.bin, 0xFC000000
    Halting CPU for downloading file.
    Downloading file [C:\Users\Raffaele\Desktop\flash\BOOT.bin]...

****** Error: Error while determining flash info (Bank @ 0xFC000000)
    Unspecified error -1

My flash is N25Q256A11EF840E (1.8V) connected to the usual MIO pins. On a ZedBoard (which I bought as per your suggestion to ensure there were no problems upstream), I can flash no problem. It has a different flash obviously. I set the same pull-up/pull-down configuration on the zedboard (QSPI bootmode) and I can flash. But not on the custom board.

The error isn't very informative.

On the zedboard I get the expected result (I had flashed it previously with the same data)
    J-Link>loadbin C:\Users\Raffaele\Desktop\project_1\project_1.sdk\BOOT.bin, 0xFC000000
    Downloading file [C:\Users\Raffaele\Desktop\project_1\project_1.sdk\BOOT.bin]...
    J-Link: Flash download: Bank 0 @ 0xFC000000: Skipped. Contents already matchO.K.

Thank you for your help. I can setup the tunneling thing if you think that will help get more information.
  • Hello,

Thank you for your inquiry.
    Good to hear that the connection issue resolved.
    Regarding the external Flash. The ZED board comes with a Spansion S25FL256SAG which the J-Link Flash loader is written for.
    Any other QSPI Flash that has compatible treats regarding commands, pins, timings etc. will most likely also work.

I assume the Micron N25Q256A11EF840E is on your custom board?
    This Flash type is not covered by the default Flash algorithm so a new one needs to be written.
    You can use our open Flash loader interface for that: wiki.segger.com/Adding_Support_for_New_Devices
    That way users can add QSPI Flash support for their individual setups themselves.

Best regards,
    Nino
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.
  • Hi Nino,

I understand.

Does the answer about the license posted by Niklas in this thread forum.segger.com/index.php?page=Thread&threadID=4102 still hold?

Also, while the template works and is a good starting point, it would be easier for me if the code of an actual implementation of Open Flash Loader was available as an example, all I can find is compiled files or just dummy template code.

Is it possible to have the source code for the zedboard implementation or if not, any other example?

Thank you.
  • Hello,

Does the answer about the license posted by Niklas in this thread forum.segger.com/index.php?page=Thread&threadID=4102 still hold?

Yes, that statement still holds.

Also, while the template works and is a good starting point, it would be easier for me if the code of an actual implementation of Open Flash Loader was available as an example, all I can find is compiled files or just dummy template code.

I just rechecked our lists and it seems that the Micron Flash should already be supported: segger.com/products/debug-prob…es/supported-spi-flashes/
    So it should work on your custom board as well if it is wired like on the Zed board.
    Are you using other pin pairs than the Zed board?

Best regards,
    Nino

Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

• SEGGER - Nino wrote:

Hello,

Yes, that statement still holds.

I just rechecked our lists and it seems that the Micron Flash should already be supported: segger.com/products/debug-prob…es/supported-spi-flashes/
    So it should work on your custom board as well if it is wired like on the Zed board.
    Are you using other pin pairs than the Zed board?

Best regards,
    Nino
    Hi nino,

one chip is connected on pins from MIO1 to MIO6 the same as on the zeboard, a second chip is connected with the DQ pins to MIO10-MIO13 (in numerical order) plus CS on the pin MIO0 and CLK on MIO9.

The segger is connected to the jtag port of the Zynq.

With the xilinx tools I choose n25q256-qspi-x8-dual_parallel or mt25qu256-qspi-x8-dual_parallel (for the newer version, 2017.4) as "configuration memory device" if that information is of any help.

Thank you for your help.

The post was edited 2 times, last by me_sur ().

• Hello,

The default J-Link Flash loader for this device will only work with 1 Flash connected like on the eval board.
    Does programming work on your board if only 1 Flash is connected?
    For dual_parallel mode a new flash loader will be required as the QSPI module needs to be handled differently.
    We can offer you the following two options in this case.

1. You write the Flash loader yourself using the open Flash loader interface.
    2. We write the Flash loader for you. As this project has no reusability for us we would need to charge NREs for this service. Would this be an option for you?

Best regards,
    Nino

• Hi Nino,

I understand. I will try making it work with only the first flash.

To make a decision on the way forward, we'd need a quote (without any committment for now) for option 2 listing price/conditions.
    You can send it to the e-mail I used to register to the forum.

The post was edited 1 time, last by me_sur ().

• by the way, I tried it and I get the same error as in the title even when the second flash chip and its CS pull-up resistor are not soldered to the board, with the xilinx tools it works with just one chip too.
  • Hello,

To make a decision on the way forward, we'd need a quote (without any committment for now) for option 2 listing price/conditions.
    You can send it to the e-mail I used to register to the forum.

Ok we will do so.

This thread will be closed now and further correspondence will be done via e-mail.

Best regards,
    Nino