Restart timer when a Window become visible

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Restart timer when a Window become visible

Hi all,

I have an application where, in the main window, after 5 seconds of inactivity, display controller and backlight are switched off, then, touching the screen, they are activated again.
      I create a timer:

C Source Code

1. case WM_INIT_DIALOG:
      2. hTimer = WM_CreateTimer(pMsg->hWin, 0, 5000, 0);

In the timer expired messages I switch off the screen (excuse me for the crude and not readable method, it will be changed after)...

C Source Code

1. case WM_TIMER:
      2. *(__IO uint16_t *) ((uint32_t)0x60000000) = 0x0010; // put display controller in sleep mode (see SSD1963 datasheet)
      3. __HAL_TIM_SET_COMPARE(&htim1, TIM_CHANNEL_1, 0); // disable display backlight
      4. break;

Then, when the screen is touched, the LCD is enabled again and the timer restarted:

C Source Code

1. case WM_TOUCH:
      2. *(__IO uint16_t *) ((uint32_t)0x60000000) = 0x0011; // put display controller out sleep mode (see SSD1963 datasheet)
      3. __HAL_TIM_SET_COMPARE(&htim1, TIM_CHANNEL_1, 50); //enable display backlight
      4. WM_RestartTimer(hTimer, 5000); //restart display sleep timer
      5. break;

Then, pressing a button on the main screen I create a new window with a setting menu and delete the timer because, leaving the main screen, display must not be switched off.

C Source Code

1. case WM_NOTIFICATION_RELEASED:
      2. // USER START (Optionally insert code for reacting on notification message)
      3. inSettings = 1;
      4. WM_DeleteTimer(hTimer);
      5. CreateSettings();
      6. // USER END
      7. break;

The background window is not deleted but when I leave the setting menu only the new window is deleted and the background window gets visibility.
      How do I activate the timer again when the background windows become visible again?

Thanks
    • Hi,

You can react on WM_DELETE of the setting menu and create a timer attached to the main window.

Like this:

C Source Code

1. case WM_DELETE:
      2. hParent = WM_GetParent(pMsg->hWin);
      3. WM_CreateTimer(hParent, ID_TIMER, 5000, 0);
      4. break;

If the main window is not the parent you can also save its handle in a global variable.

You can also try to react on WM_NOTIFY_VIS_CHANGED in the callback of the main window.

Regards
      Sven
      Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
      Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
      Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.