[SOLVED] [Ozone]SWO issue

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• [SOLVED] [Ozone]SWO issue

Hi,

I am using SWO in Ozone and I have no idea why I get this, Let me explain:

When I am debugging Ozone, nothing from my traces show up, I have tested with differents configuration (freq and ITM and nothig appear, but curiosly, when I connect through swoview (meanwhile ozone is running), there are information from SWO in the Ozone!

I am using cortex-m4 on a nrf52832 board from Nordic.

JLink version V.6.22e
    Ozone V2.54

Before write this post I have tried any information related to SWO posted in this forum...
    Any idea what could be happened? Thanks.

Best regards,

Paco
  • Hello Paco,

Thank you for your inquiry.
    To use SWO in Ozone you need to configure it in Ozone.
    For this open your Ozone project and go to Edit->Trace Settings... -> trace source SWO.

Does that solve the described behaviour?

Best regards,
    Nino
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.
  • Good morning Nino!,

Unfortunetly no, SWO traces has been configurated as you said (Edit-> Trace Settings-> SWO). Also, I have tested with AUTO clock and there are not traces in Ozone, I need to start swoview from JLinkExe in order to see traces...

I have recorded a video for a better understanding of the issue -> vimeo.com/256383334

Thanks!
  • Hello,

Thank you for providing additional information.
    Now it makes more sense, I thought you were using the JLinkSWOViewer.
    Are you using the PCA10040 eval board or some other?
    Could you provide a example project where the issue is reproducible?
    Could you try the latest Ozone and J-Link software release version to make sure we are not hunting any bugs that have already been solved?
    segger.com/downloads/jlink/

Best regards,
    Nino

Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

• Hi Nino,

Thanks for your quick response.

SEGGER - Nino wrote:

Hello,

Thank you for providing additional information.
    Now it makes more sense, I thought you were using the JLinkSWOViewer.
    Are you using the PCA10040 eval board or some other? Yes, I am using PCA10040 evaluation board
    Could you provide a example project where the issue is reproducible? Yes, of course, let me post-it below
    Could you try the latest Ozone and J-Link software release version to make sure we are not hunting any bugs that have already been solved? I have tried and I get the same behavior
    segger.com/downloads/jlink/

Best regards,
    Nino

Basically, I am using this piece of code:

C Source Code

1. #include <stdint.h>
    2. #include "nrf.h"
    3. int main(void)
    4. {
    5. NRF_CLOCK->TRACECONFIG = (NRF_CLOCK->TRACECONFIG & ~CLOCK_TRACECONFIG_TRACEPORTSPEED_Msk) |
    6. (CLOCK_TRACECONFIG_TRACEPORTSPEED_4MHz << CLOCK_TRACECONFIG_TRACEPORTSPEED_Pos);
    7. ITM->TCR |= 1;
    8. ITM->TER |= 1;
    9. uint8_t c = 65;
    10. while (true)
    11. {
    12. ITM_SendChar(c);
    13. if( c >= 90){
    14. c = 65;
    15. }else{
    16. c++;
    17. }
    18. }
    19. }
    Display All

BR,

Paco
  • Hi Paco,

when using our software there is no ITM setting required from your application.
    It even will disable SWO connection in some cases. So remove any ITM settings from your code.
    To use SWO in Ozone make sure that you have run the JLinkDLLUpdater once from the J-Link software install folder.
    For this close any open Ozone window and apply the DLL update.
    Now you should see SWO automatically in Ozone when starting the debug session without needing to launch the Commander.

Best regards,
    Nino

• Hi Nino,

I have been searching this DLL and I haven't got this file in my computer... I suppose that it should be included in the JLink Software packet.

Could you verify that this file is included in the "J-Link Software and Documentation pack for Linux"?

If case that the file is missing... Could you share DLL file with me?

PS:Keep in mind that I am using Ubuntu 16.04 LTS. :)

Thank Nino!

The post was edited 1 time, last by PacoCid ().

• Hi Paco,

Could you verify that this file is included in the "J-Link Software and Documentation pack for Linux"?

Ok didn't have the information before that you are using Linux.
    In that case you need to do the "update" manually by moving the JLinkDevices.xml and Devices/ folder from the J-Link install folder to the Ozone install folder.
    Then the correct SWO sequence should be called when selecting a nRF52 device with Ozone.

Best regards,
    Nino

• Hi Nino!,

I have updated ozone as you said, the file JLinkDevices.xml and the folder /Devices from Jlink to ozone and I am getting tthe same results...
    Please, take a look to the video -> vimeo.com/256618030

Am I doing something wrong?

Would you mind to share your Ozone files (for Ubuntu 16.04) that are working with the right configuration with me?

Thanks!

BR,

Paco
  • Hi Paco,

For reference you can use the following example project from Nordic SDK.
    download.segger.com/Nino/NordicSDK_SES.7z
    The download will be available for at least 24 h.

The example under examples\ble_central\ble_app_blinky_c\pca10040\s132\ses
    There you will find a Ozone project which should run out of the box and configure SWO correctly.
    The sources are included so you can compare them with your project.

Best regards,
    Nino

• Hi Nino,

After one week looking for the reason that my code ITM doesn't work and yours works....
    I have figured out that there was a bug in my initialization.

Thanks for your great support, this issue is cosed from my point of view. :thumbup:

Best regards,

Paco
  • Hi Paco,

Great to hear that you are up and running again.
    We will consider this case as closed now.

Best regards,
    Nino