[SOLVED] JLink & ATSAMB11

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• [SOLVED] JLink & ATSAMB11

Hello.
    I have a JLink edu mini and a custom board made with an ATSAMB11 module.
    I can not make these two work together.

Actually I am trying to program the module under Atmel Studio 7 but it does not seem to work.
    Since Atmel Studio is failing I have tried to do the following:
    1) Run jlink.exe
    2) connect
    3) I type '?' for the selection dialog.
    4) I don't find the ATSAMB11 in that dialog and as such I select Unspecified Cortex-M0.
    5) Choose 'S' for SWD
    6) Select speed of 100 kHz

The results I am getting from the software are:

Device "CORTEX-M0" selected.

Connecting to target via SWD
    Found SW-DP with ID 0x0BB11477
    Scanning AP map to find all available APs
    AP[1]: Stopped AP scan as end of AP map has been reached
    AP[0]: AHB-AP (IDR: 0x04770021)
    Iterating through AP map to find AHB-AP to use
    AP[0]: Core found
    AP[0]: AHB-AP ROM base: 0xE00FF000
    CPUID register: 0x410CC200. Implementer code: 0x41 (ARM)
    Found Cortex-M0 r0p0, Little endian.
    FPUnit: 0 code (BP) slots and 0 literal slots
    CoreSight components:
    ROMTbl[0] @ E00FF000
    Cortex-M0 identified.

Then I run TestHaltGo and I get:

test halt/go

****** Error: CPU is not halted

WARNING: CPU could not be halted

Completed. 31ms required

Does anyone have any idea of what is wrong and how I can make Atmel Studio work with the module?

Thank you very much.
  • Hello,

Thank you for your inquiry.
    The ATSAMB11 is currently not officially supported by J-Link.
    Selecting generic Cortex-M0 instead might work for basic connection, but in this case it seems that resets need special handling which is currently not implemented.
    You can try to implement the correct reset behaviour using a JLinkScript file. More information about this can be found in the J-Link user manual under section J-Link script file.

Best regards,
    Nino
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.
  • Hello Nino.

Thanks for replying back. I had a quick look on the J-Link user manual and it didn't make any sense to me. Also, I don't know what kind of special handling might require the module to be implemented.
    Are you aware if someone from the forums has made such a script file for the specific module?

I don't think I might be able to do something like that as it probably has very steep learning curve. As such I might end up buying Atmel's ICE for such job.

Kind regards

Efthymios
  • Hello Efthymios,

Also, I don't know what kind of special handling might require the module to be implemented.

If such handling is required it is specified in the SAMB11 user manual. Should it be standard Cortex-M0 compliant then J-Link does already support it.
    Examples for special handling of ATSAM devices can be found in the J-Link software installation folder under Devices/Atmel.

Are you aware if someone from the forums has made such a script file for the specific module?

Currently you are the first customer asking for SAMB11 support.
    Generally we are interested in adding support for as many popular devices as possible and usually we get contacted by silicon vendors before the devices release.
    In this case we have not been contacted by Microchip yet so we reached out to them now.
    As soon as we receive hardware and documentation from Microchip we will be adding support for the SAMB11 series.

Then I run TestHaltGo and I get:

test halt/go

What do you mean by that haltgo test? Could you provide a screenshot of the output of the test?
    How are you calling the commands?
    Could you also attach a J-Link log file of such a session?
    wiki.segger.com/Enable_J-Link_log_file

Best regards,
    Nino

Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

• Hello Nino.

As indicated in my first post, the output of the testhaltgo is the following:

test halt/go

****** Error: CPU is not halted

WARNING: CPU could not be halted

Completed. 31ms required
    I also attach you a log file as requested.

PS:
    If it helps you in any way, when I select as a CPU, the ATSAMD21J18, then the testhaltgo operation seems to be working fine but the 'teststep' is not.

Thank you very much.

Efthymios.
    Files
    • log1.txt

(3.13 kB, downloaded 280 times, last: )

The post was edited 1 time, last by ekalyvio ().

• Hello Efthymios,

OK this sounds like the SAMG11 devices need extra handling on device halt and or go.
    We got a reply from our Microchip contacts and eval boards with that chip are on the way so we can investigate this issue further.
    Will keep you posted about any new information that we acquire.

Best regards,
    Nino

• Hello Efthymios,

we received the SAMB11 eval boards from Microchip for testing.
    The eval boards are named ATSAMB11-XPRO.
    Attached is the commander output of a testhaltgo.
    Everything is working as expected when selecting Cortex-M0.
    So it seems that this issue is not related to J-Link.
    We suspect your debug connection is somewhat different to the expected design or the debug cable is unreliable.
    Compare the schematics of the SAMB11 eval board to your custom design and find out what the differences are.

Best regards,
    Nino
    Images
    • Capture.PNG

34.44 kB, 677×762, viewed 346 times

• Hello Nino.

Thank you for letting me know. My board is not an evaluation board but a custom design from the reference diagrams of Atmel.
    I will try to rework a new module on a new board in case the module is broken although I am having a feeling that also my Jlink debugger is broken as I am unable to get a 3.3v reference voltage even if I connect VTRef and GND of the cable directly to the output of a 3.3v voltage regulator.

Thank you very much.

Efthymios.