[SOLVED] MSP432E flash unlocking

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• [SOLVED] MSP432E flash unlocking

Hello!
    I'm currently working on a project using TI's MSP432E411. The chip has an internal flash memory which can be programmed fine with the J-Link. The chip cannot be unlocked with J-Link, however (working with TI's tools, this is only possibly using a command line utility bundled with their UniFlash tool and TI's XDS debugger.)

I tried to implement the sequence (described in §3.3.4.3 of the MSP432E Technical Reference Manual SLAU723) by scripting the JLinkExe, but failed at this. (The sequence consists practitcally switching 10 times between SWD and JTAG mode.) I guess this should be doable with the SDK, but I don't really have any experience using it (nor a license currently.)

Are there plans on implementing the flash unprotect function on the MSP432E411Y as part of JLink.exe (or is this possibly implemented in some way already?)
  • Hello,

Thank you for your inquiry.

Unlock is currently not supported for the MSP432E series. This is actually new information to us as the initial UM we received from TI when implementing Flashsupport did not have this information in it otherwise it would be already supported.
    We will put it on the ToDo but currently we can't give any estimate as our project books are quite full.
    You should be able to implement this sequence without the SDK using only the Scriptfunctions from the regular J-Link User Manual.
    For how to implement it exactly please step into contact with TI as we currently don't have more information about the unlock sequence than you do.

Best regards,
    Nino
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.
  • Hello! Thanks for the swift reply.

I am happy to here that the support is on Your ToDo!

I think we can for the while live with having to resort to the XDS110 (TI's debugger) in this case. You need to work to get it the JTAG locked out, but it's possible: in this case I misread docs and configured JTAG pins as GPIO on startup. We are planning on putting this on a dev board where there should be no requirement to have the XDS lying around (considering to add an OB, and we do prefer J-Links anyway.)
    I think the description is of the unlock sequence is only in the
    newest TRM. Support for the sequence is rather new even in TI's tools.

(I gave a shot the script but managed to fumble it a few times -- I'm rather sure it worked "once", by twiddling manually on the commander prompt, but never really reliably. I have never really debugged JTAG itself so it's probably something trivial.)

BR,
    Jaakko
  • Hello Jaakko,

We are planning on putting this on a dev board where there should be no requirement to have the XDS lying around (considering to add an OB, and we do prefer J-Links anyway.)

Happy to hear that you are considering it and from experience we can say that our customers are pretty excited when they see that their favorite eval boards have a J-Link OB ;)

Would you like to be added to the J-Link software update notification list,
    so you get informed automatically when the new version becomes available?
    Subscribe: segger.com/notification/subscribe.php?prodid=7,94

That way you can easily track when the unlock sequence is implemented.

Best regards,
    Nino
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.