[SOLVED] Segger J-Link Plus and ARM DS-5 on Linux

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• [SOLVED] Segger J-Link Plus and ARM DS-5 on Linux

Hello,
    I'm trying to use the J-Link Plus with ARM DS-5 Debugger running on Linux.

I read the documentation
    https://www.segger.com/admin/uploads/pro…08001_JLink.pdf
    which describes a workaround for adding support on DS-5 running on Windows.
    I read this thread too segger2.com/index.php?page=Thread&threadID=2990 , in which the user was trying to do the same thing.

Is there any news regarding support for DS-5 on Linux?is any workaround similar to the one suggested for Windows been found since then?
    The thread is quite old and I didn't find any other references to this matter online.

Thank you very much for your help,

Laura
  • Hello Laura,

Thank you for your inquiry.
    DS-5 support for Linux has not been added in the meantime and currently there are no plans to do so.

Alternatively you can use our free debug software Ozone which works multi-platform: segger.com/products/development-tools/ozone-j-link-debugger/
    Ozone fits perfectly in the J-Link ecosystem and can work with the compiler output of DS-5.
    So you can keep your project in DS-5 and compile there. For debugging you simply use Ozone.

For future projects we recommend considering our IDE Embedded Studio which is also a cross-platform software and has all J-Link features implemented perfectly: segger.com/products/development-tools/embedded-studio/
    Embedded Studio can be used for free for evaluation purposes. Should you be interested in a license feel free to contact our sales department.

Best regards,
    Nino
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.
  • Hello Nino,
    Thanks for your exhaustive answer and the suggestions.

I'm currently working with a iMX7 based board. I tried Ozone, if I understood correctly with some scripting on the .jdebug file I should be able to work with both i.MX7 cores separately.

I'll try Embedded Studio as well.

Best regards,

Laura
  • Hello Laura,

I'm currently working with a iMX7 based board. I tried Ozone, if I understood correctly with some scripting on the .jdebug file I should be able to work with both i.MX7 cores separately.

Correct. You can either configure one Ozone project to switch between the cores or create two separate projects.
    Debugging multiple cores in parallel is currently not supported but we plan on implementing that function sometime this year.

Keep in mind that on Linux Ozone is currently not shipped with a JLinkDevices.xml which is responsible for all special handlings with multi-core devices like the imx series.
    So you need to move the xml and the Devices/ folder from the J-Link software folder to the Ozone installation folder, otherwise you won't be able to select your device in Ozone.
    This behaviour will be changed in future and Ozone will simply be already shipped with the necessary files.

More information about special handling of the imx series can be found on our wiki page: wiki.segger.com/Main_Page#NXP

Best regards,
    Nino
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.