[SOLVED] Programming External Serial Flash W25Q40BL

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• [SOLVED] Programming External Serial Flash W25Q40BL

Hello,

in my project I have an external flash SPI Serial Flash from Winbond (W25Q40BL) which is connected to the SPI peripheral of a STM32L0 microprocessor from ST and I have access only to the microprocessor. I would like to know if it is possible to program it through J-Flash utility and how.

Thank you and best regard,
    Henry
  • Hello Henry,

Thank you for your inquiry.
    Generally this should be implementable using our open flashloader interface. Regarding the STM32L0 it highly depends which device it is exactly as not all of them have a QSPI interface.
    So which STM32L0 are you looking to use?

Best regards,
    Nino
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.
  • Hi Nino,

thank you for your fast answer.

I am using a STM32L051K8 which is connected through its SPI (not QSPI, and the chip select mapped as GPIO).

Is it still possible to program the external flash with your open flashloader interface, if we have not the QSPI interface?

Thank you,
    Henry
  • Hello Henry,

yes a SPI interface is also usable but of course less "flexible".
    When adding flash support you generally have the following two options.

1. You send us the target hardware and documentation and we implement the flashloader. In this case NREs will apply.
    2. You use our open flashloader interface and implement it yourself: wiki.segger.com/Adding_Support_for_New_Devices
    Especially if you are at a time critical project stage we recommend option two.

Which one would be of interest to you?

Best regards,
    Nino

Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

• This thread will now be locked and the discussion will be continued per e-mail and pm.

Best regards,
    Nino