[SOLVED] OS_EnterInterrupt/OS_EnterNestableInterrupt on Cortex-M

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• [SOLVED] OS_EnterInterrupt/OS_EnterNestableInterrupt on Cortex-M

I have two timer interrupts which both use OS_Enter/OS_LeaveInterrupt. One has a higher priority than the other. Both are at lower priorities (higher values) than the fast interrupt. My understanding is that these routines disable interrupts that are not so-called fast interrupt. Using a scope I set two GPIOs high when entering these routines and low when leaving. I can clearly see the lower interrupt preempted by that with the higher priority.

From the Cortex-M EMBOS manual:

OS_EnterInterrupt() has to be used as prolog function, when the interrupt handler should not be preempted by any other interrupt handler that runs on a priority below the fast interrupt priority. An interrupt handler that starts with OS_EnterInterrupt() has to end with the epilog function OS_LeaveInterrupt().
    From the RTOS header files where the macros are defined:

#define OS_ENABLE_INTS_SAVE_IPL() // Not required with Cortex-M, avoid call of OS_EI()
    Are OS_EnterInterrupt and OS_EnterNestableInterrupt effectively the same on Cortex-M? Why is my interrupt above being preempted?
  • Hi Kenny,

OS_EnterInterrupt() disables interrupts with setting BASEPRI register to 0x80 which disables all embOS interrupts.
    OS_EnterNestableInterrupt() does not change the BASEPRI register and therefore does not disable interrupts.

Are OS_EnterInterrupt and OS_EnterNestableInterrupt effectively the same on Cortex-M?

Yes, they also work with Cortex-M. The macro is not necessary in all embOS ports.
    The interrupt handler could be preempted before OS_EnterInterrupt() is actually called but that's no problem for embOS and usually no problem for the application.

Best regards,
    Til
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.