[SOLVED] [Ozone] Host memory usage jumped since V2.54

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• [SOLVED] [Ozone] Host memory usage jumped since V2.54

I have seen a steady increase of host memory usage with Ozone and it becomes unusable with the latest V2.54b. My environment is Ubuntu 16.04.3 LTS 64-bit running on Dell XPS 13 with 8GB of ram.

This is the memory usage as reported by Ubuntu's System Monitor (with same ELF loaded and the same Ozone configurations):
    - V2.52d 3GB
    - V2.54 3.5GB
    - V2.54a 4GB
    - V2.54b 4.3GB

The post was edited 1 time, last by alfred-ai ().

• Hello,

Thank you for your inquiry.
    Such an issue is not known to us.
    Could you make the used elf file available for us to be able to reproduce the issue?

Best regards,
    Nino
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.
  • Sorry I won't be able to share the ELF. FYI our target is a Cortex-M7 running ~1MByte of (mostly) C++ code with FreeRTOS, compiled with the arm-none-eabi toochain.

Am I really the only one noticing this memory usage jump?
  • Hello,

currently you are our first customer reporting any degradation in that regard.
    With testprojects we were not able to reproduce the behaviour.
    Could you create a example project where this issue is reproducible that you could share with us?
    Without a reproduction scenario there is not much we can do.

Update: After some more testing we could see a difference with more complex elf files.
    We already improved the behaviour which will be available in todays Ozone beta release V2.55: segger.com/downloads/jlink-beta/
    Could you test that beta release out and see if this solves your problem as well?

Best regards,
    Nino

Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

• Hello,

Thanks for testing.
    If Ozone has high CPU load just after opening the elf file, this is expected as Ozone first needs to parse the information.
    Does the issue resolve when waiting a couple of seconds?
    The screenshot shows a CPU usage of only 26%.
    Is that a mistake?
    Is now Ozone workable for you or still problematic?

Best regards,
    Nino

• Sorry I should have a bit more clear in my last reply. I left the Ozone beta running for more than 15 minutes and I called it stalled. About CPU usage, it shows 25% because it is only hoarding one of the CPU core (my XPS has a quad core Intel CPU).

One more data point is I have the FreeRTOS plug in enabled, i.e. "Project.SetOSPlugin("freeRTOSPlugin");" in the .jdebug file.
  • Hello,

This thread will be handled further per e-mail and PM.

EDIT: Issue resolved with Ozone V2.56a.

Best regards,
    Nino