[SOLVED] Is creating a breakpoint with custom conditions available?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• [SOLVED] Is creating a breakpoint with custom conditions available?

Hello, I'm Matthew. I'm using SEGGER ES v3.34 with Nordic's PCA10040 board. This board has an onboard J-Link.

[img]https://i-msdn.sec.s-msft.com/dynimg/IC802406.jpeg[/img]

As shown from the above picture, the Visual Studio can configure breakpoints with various conditions.

IAR EWARM can also configure conditional breakpoints, too.

I wanted to configure something similar with SES.

1. Is it possible to configure hit counts or special conditions with SES's breakpoints? I cannot find the way how.

2. Is it possible to configure data breakpoints with SES? For instance,

C Source Code

1. uint8_t m_global[100]; // global variable array
    2. int main(void){ // ...

I want to toggle a breakpoint if m_global[10] == 0xAA

Can I configure this type of breakpoint with SES?

3. Lastly, can SES print a log message when it meets the breakpoint's condition?

IAR supports log breakpoints. So I was curious whether I can print logs while debugging.

-Regards, Matthew
    -Best Regards, Matthew
  • Hello Matthew,

Thank you for your inquiry.
    1. Is it possible to configure hit counts or special conditions with SES's breakpoints? I cannot find the way how.

For Code Breakpoints this is currently not possible with ES, but you can use Ozone for this.
    Simply set a breakpoint in Ozone and go to View->Breakpoints->rightclick BP and select Edit.
    There you can set a condition and other settings.

2. Is it possible to configure data breakpoints with SES? For instance,

This is possible and data BP can also be set conditionally through expressions.
    More information can be found in the ES help which is also available online.
    General information about breakpoint window in ES: studio.segger.com/index.htm?ht…ide_breakpoint_window.htm
    General information about BP expressions in ES: studio.segger.com/index.htm?ht…reakpoint_expressions.htm

3. Lastly, can SES print a log message when it meets the breakpoint's condition?

This is currently not available in ES but will be available in Ozone with the next beta release expected this week.

Best regards,
    Nino
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.
  • Thanks for your reply, Nino.

I will try the BP expressions. In the meantime, I always felt cumbersome to execute Ozone when using SES 3.

Are there any plans to integrate Ozone into SES? Maybe bringing Ozone's debugging features to SES will make SES 3 better.
    -Best Regards, Matthew
  • Hi Matthew,

Currently there is no fixed timeframe when this features will be adopted from Ozone to ES. But it will come eventually.
    Are there any plans to integrate Ozone into SES?

This is partially already done.
    You can launch Ozone through ES under Debug->Debug with Ozone
    In Ozone you can also edit the source and save changes, so you only have to switch back to ES for compiling and can do the whole editing in Ozone.

Best regards,
    Nino
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.