[SOLVED] Debugging external binary

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• [SOLVED] Debugging external binary

Hello,

I have had good success so far connecting a JLink to an ARM11 board and getting a flashing LED example to compile and execute on the board. I can also step through the program without any issues. I am now wondering if I can debug an externally built binary on my board. It is a small binary (less than 1k bytes) that I can flash to the RAM of the board. Since I don't have the source code though, I cannot step through the program. Is there a way where I can use the debugger to just step through the disassembly without the C or asm file? I am interested in seenig what values are saved in registers at different stages.

Thanks,
    szoshi
  • Hello szoshi,

Thank you for your inquiry.

Generally that is possible.
    You can do this by simply pressing F11 (Step into) when reaching one of the library functions. Then you should land in the disassembly window where you can now step instruction wise through the disassembly code even while executing "unknown" library code.
    Does this answer your question?

Best regards,
    Nino
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.