[SOLVED] Using alternative GCC/binutils with SES

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• [SOLVED] Using alternative GCC/binutils with SES

Is it possible to plugin/ configure SES to use alternative GCC/BINUTILS than one it comes with? Say if SES lags, and I want to use later builds by GNU ARM, or from another project all together.

(Something you could do with Eclipse + GNU ARM Eclipse plugin, you can configure many GNU GCC cross compilers, toolchain locations)
  • Hello,

Thank you for your inquiry.
    Yes this is possible. Either when using the project wizard you will be asked in the setup to set your external toolchain path.
    Or if you already have a project set up with an external build config then go to Project-> Edit Options...->Choose External GNU configuration->Build->Tool Chain Directory
    There you can change the path and other settings.

Best regards,
    Nino
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.
  • Hi,

I tested the proposal and it looks to me it is not so easy to change the compiler version at least for the following reasons:
    • the naming in the official ARM GCC distribution is different from the one that is set in SES. In SES the compiler is called by cc1. In the official distribution it is something like arm-none-eabi-gcc or arm-none-eabi-gcc-x.y.z where xyz is the version number
    • I'm not an expert, but I assume it is not suffcient to change just the compiler binary. I guess some changes in the lib settings are also necessary

I tried to change to gcc 7.2.1 however I failed. I will be happy if someone can post a 'howto' for changing the compiler version in SES.

Best Regards
    Markus
  • Oh wow :whistling: ... Looks like they not using GCC front end, Segger has it's own. (Is this unfortunate, or ?)

In SES the compiler is called by cc1
    markuskrug, that's the backend ..

U dunno, I would be feeling better if it would be possible to use GCC front end, but .. I''ll see what they reply.

Edit:

So I gave it a quick try building external and note:
    1) Tool Chain Directory was the only thing I had to change. Note, I tried GNU ARM v 6, and v7 latest . On sample project Hello only.
    2) Unlike the internal (pre-installed) toolchain path - $(StudioDir)/gcc/$(GCCTarget)/bin - your external can point to the GCC bin folder, and the external build configuration
    comes with pre-configured "External Build", which is all specified in GCC/G++ commands, so
    Alleluah Jeses thank ya, :) .
    I'm starting to feel warmer

The post was edited 1 time, last by v01d ().

• Hello Markus,

We created a Wiki article explaining how to use an external toolchain like ARMGCC: wiki.segger.com/How_to_use_an_…hain_with_Embedded_Studio

Does the setup work for you when following the steps?

Best regards,
    Nino
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.