[ABANDONED] FRDM-KL28Z with current J-Link OpenSDA firmware

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• [ABANDONED] FRDM-KL28Z with current J-Link OpenSDA firmware

I have a new FRDM-KL28Z dev board which comes with the default DAPLink bootloader and OpenSDA v2.2 firmware. I am having problems loading the current J-Link OpenSDA firmware on it. If I power the board up into bootloader mode, copy the latest J-Link firmware (from the "J-Link OpenSDA - Board-Specific Firmwares" page for the FRDM-KL28Z board) on to it, when the board restarts it is still running the original OpenSDA v2.2 firmware and a J-Link debug probe is not available. The best I have been able to do is load the generic J-Link OpenSDA v2.1 firmware (from "J-Link OpenSDA - Generic Firmwares - OpenSDA v2.1" page) which does result in a J-Link debug probe being available.

Am I doing something wrong, or is there a known issue with this board and the latest J-Link firmware ?
  • Hello,

Thank you for your inquiry.

According to our website the board is running open SDA 2.0 : segger.com/products/debug-prob…pensda-sda-v2/#tab-3932-4
    Did you try that?
    Other versions are not tested and are not guaranteed to work.

Best regards,
    Nino
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.
  • Hi,

I think i have to rephrase what i wrote.
    The firmware we provide has been tested with a FRDM-KL28Z board that runs open SDA 2.0 and this configuration is working.
    Any other configuration is not tested and thus currently not supported.
    It might be that newer FRDM-KL28Z board revisions ship with other/newer open SDA versions.

We will see if we can get such a board and add support eventually.

Best regards,
    Nino

Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

• Hi,

I don't think I can downgrade the OpenSDA bootloader to v2.0, but you should be able to upgrade v2.0 to v2.2 using the DAPLink image from mbed website (step 1 on following link)

Completely understandable. We have a couple of boards here so I will give it a go with one of them.
    I will inform you once I have gathered more information.

Best regards,
    Nino

• Hi,

Quick update on my findings.
    I followed the instructions on our website: segger.com/products/debug-prob…pensda-sda-v2/#tab-3932-6
    And downloaded the attached binary form our download section.

To flash it the following steps were executed:

- Connect FRDM Board to PC while holding reset button.
    - A Drive named BOOTLOADER showed up
    - Drag and drop attached binary onto BOOTLOADER drive
    - Wait till it dissapears
    - Power Board off and on
    - J-Link Connected successfully.

Does that work with your board as well?

Edit: I also updated one of our boards to OpenSDA 2.2 and then flash the attached J-Link binary and this worked fine as well.

Best regards,
    Nino
    Files

• Hi Nino,

I'm sorry to say that procedure does not work for me. It is what I have tried before several times, without success. But just to check, I have done them again, and reported the results below.

- Connect FRDM Board to PC while holding reset button.
    Ok.

- A Drive named BOOTLOADER showed up
    Board shows up as "MAINTENANCE". A device which appears as "BOOTLOADER" indicates it is running an outdated version of DapLink bootloader ! See the flow chart under "How to update your boards" at os.mbed.com/blog/entry/DAPLink-bootloader-update/

Details.txt file on the drive indicates "Daplink Mode: Bootloader. Bootloader Version: 0244"

- Drag and drop attached binary onto BOOTLOADER drive
    Ok.

- Wait till it dissapears
    Ok.

- Power Board off and on
    Ok.

- J-Link Connected successfully.
    No. J-Link Configurator finds no emulators attached by USB.
    If I restart the board in bootloader mode, drag and drop generic OpenSDA V2.1 Bootloader firmware (from the Segger website segger.com/downloads/jlink/OpenSDA_V2_1) and restart, then J-Link terms of use message dialog appears, and the device shows up in J-Link Configurator as "J-Link OpenSDA 2 compiled Nov 1 V1.00"

Are you sure your board is using the current v2.2 Daplink bootloader (not the older v2.0 Arm mbed CMSIS-DAP bootloader) ? What version does the details.txt file show when starting in bootloader mode ?

regards
    Geoff
  • Hi Geoff,

For clarification, with the generic openSDA FW V2.1 it works currently on your setup?

Are you sure your board is using the current v2.2 Daplink bootloader (not the older v2.0 Arm mbed CMSIS-DAP bootloader) ? What version does the details.txt file show when starting in bootloader mode ?

Unfortunately there is no details.txt inside it. Attached is the BOOTLOADER folder i get.
    So i tried the guide "How to update your boards" on my Win7 device and but i never got the MAINTANENCE drive. The green just kept blinking until I plugged the device in under reset again. Then I was back to BOOTLOADER drive.
    So it seems updating fails with the boards we have.
    We will get into touch with our NXP contacts and see if we can get a V2.2 device in our hands.

Sorry for any inconveniences caused.

Best regards,
    Nino
    Images
    • Capture.PNG

29.23 kB, 1,198×959, viewed 602 times

• Hello Geoff,

We finally got our hands on current release boards and could reproduce the issues you were seeing.
    For now we recommend using the generic V2.1 J-Link FW as it seems to be working stable.

The documentation and website will be updated as soon as we have clear and complete information form NXP regarding the different board revisions and default FW versions.
    Sorry for any inconveniences caused.

Best regards,
    Nino

• Thanks Nino. I will watch the release notes on new J-Link releases. While we have moved to custom KL28Z bare metal boards, we're still using a few FRDM-KL28Z boards for development so it would be nice to get an updated bootloader for them.
  • Hi Geoff,

In the meantime we received an updated list from NXP.
    We are currently working on making basically all FW versions available for new and old bootloader versions of openSDA. That way this problems should not appear anymore as both versions will be available device specific.
    There is no fixed time schedule for this at the moment but it should be available in the next couple of weeks.

Best regards,
    Nino

• Hi Nino,

Thanks for the update. We have noticed that the debug UART (virtual COM port) on the FRDM-KL28Z does not seem to work correctly when using the generic OpenSDA v2.1 firmware. Sometimes it adds a few random characters to the end of strings, sometimes it continuously sends out garbage characters. The board works fine with the DAPLink interface so we have reverted to that in the meantime. See attached examples (J-Link generic OpenSDA vs DAPLink rev 0242) - notice the additional characters "0x0 0x31" after "hello world". But it is not a big issue, since DAPLink is a workaround.
    Images
    • screenshot - JLink generic OpenSDA v2.1.png

38.07 kB, 1,271×322, viewed 571 times
    • screenshot - DAPLink 0242.png

34.19 kB, 1,063×306, viewed 555 times