[SOLVED] Atmel Studio 7 + ATSAME51 + Jlink Edu doesn't work

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• [SOLVED] Atmel Studio 7 + ATSAME51 + Jlink Edu doesn't work

Hi

I have an ATSAME51J19 board connected with JLink Edu Mini.
    The board can be debugged with Keil and flashed with Jlink Flash Lite. However it doesn't work with Atmel Studio.
    Do you have any idea on how to fix this?
    Jlink log for Keil (success) and Atmel Studio (fail) are in attachment

Regards
    H
    Files
    • JlinkLogs.zip

(7.74 kB, downloaded 394 times, last: )
  • Hello,

Thank you for your inquiry.
    Such an issue is not known to us.
    The serialnumber of your device looks displayed weird.
    Can you please start J-Link Commander (JLinkExe) and type:
    J-Link>resetconf
    J-Link>usb
    Then power cycle your J-Link?
    Does it show the correct serial number now?
    Does debugging with Atmel Studio work now?

Generally debugging with Atmel Studio is working as expected. Did you follow the setup steps form our website? segger.com/products/debug-prob…nology/ides/atmel-studio/

Do you have another eval board to test against to see if it is a general issue or only related to that particular board?

Is there a particular reason for you using Atmel Studio? As far as we are informed Atmel Studio is discontinued and will not be developed anymore.
    In fact I just tried to create a project with the SAME54 board we have here and it did not recognize the board type...

So if you are flexible with your IDE choice we suggest using our own cross-platfrom IDE Embedded Studio: segger.com/products/development-tools/embedded-studio/

For private and educational use it can be used completely for free.
    I just created a dummy example project in Embedded Studio for the E54 board and it worked directly.
    For next week also CMSIS packs for the SAME51 series are planned so you can directly get a simple project with all device related startup files and only need to add you application to the project and you are done.

Would that be of interest to you?

Best regards,
    Nino
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.
  • Hi Nino

Thanks for the answer.
    In fact I changed serial number before posting the logs (It is 80100xxxx with x are numerical character)

BTW, if you have problem with ATSAME54 so it seems to not different from mine.

The reason I use Atmel Studio is to enable my Atmel Start based project quickly.
    But with this issue, I think I will need to change IDE. I have Keil worked with the board but cannot use it due to size limitation.
    I will give the IDE you suggest a try. Hopefully we don't need to do a lot of change to build ASF based project

Regards
    H
  • Hi,

In fact I changed serial number before posting the logs

Ah ok that makes sense now :D

BTW, if you have problem with ATSAME54 so it seems to not different from mine.

Yes, unfortunately this is a Atmel Studio related issue that we can't do much about.
    Especially as development is being discontinued for that product it is unlikely that it will ever work.

I have Keil worked with the board but cannot use it due to size limitation.

This is no problem in Embedded Studio ;)

Hopefully we don't need to do a lot of change to build ASF based project

It looks like Atmel Studio also used GCC compiler so at least the ASF source should be compatible to ES.
    A setup guide for a new ES project can be found here: segger.com/products/developmen…ology/project-management/

For the E51 series a support package is planned to be added later today so you can get started just like in the video.
    If you can't wait you can already get a working project by going File->New Project->Create New Project in new solution-> A C/C++ executable for Cortex-M processors->set projectname and path->next->select E51 device->select correct target interface SWD/JTAG-> next-> next-> finish

And your project is setup. With F5 you can start debugging right away.

Best regards,
    Nino

Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

• Hi,

FYI the ATMEL SAME51 CPU support package has today been added to Embedded Studio so you can create quick sample projects out of the package manager and get running within minutes.

Best regards,
    Nino