Can not connect to BGM113 Module with Segger J-Link EDU Mini

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Can not connect to BGM113 Module with Segger J-Link EDU Mini

Hi,

I'm trying to connect to BGM113 Module in a custom board with a Segger J-Link EDU Mini. Using the Segger software the debugger detects the module but throws an error "Secured EFR32 device detected. This could cause problems during flash download. Note: Unsecuring will trigger a mass erase of the internal flash. Do you want to perform an unlock of the device in order to guarantee proper flash download behavior?". When I confirm for unlock the device launch another error "Error: ResetTarget(): PCode returned with error code 1".
    In Simplicity Studio v4 the soft detect the debugger but when I select it appear "No local adapter firmware available". If I push on Download button the software does nothing.

Also, When I try to active the Vtref with "power on perm" in Jlink Commander nothing happens.

Any ideas for solve it or where is the problem?

Thanks in advance,
    jose.
  • Hello Jose,

Thank you for your inquiry.
    Such issues are not known to us.
    Can you post a complete output of a connection sequence when using a J-Link Commander?
    How is your board powered?
    In Simplicity Studio v4 the soft detect the debugger but when I select it appear "No local adapter firmware available". If I push on Download button the software does nothing.

Did you follow the instructions described on our website? segger.com/products/debug-prob…n-labs-simplicity-studio/
    Also, When I try to active the Vtref with "power on perm" in Jlink Commander nothing happens.

This feature is not supported by J-Link EDU Mini.

Best regards,
    Nino
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.
  • Thanks for your response!
    Can you post a complete output of a connection sequence when using a J-Link Commander?

And this is the Advert:

How is your board powered?
    I power the custom board with regulated 3.3V from a development board. Both boards have common ground.
    Did you follow the instructions described on our website? https://www.segger.com/products/debug-pr…plicity-studio/
    Yes, but Simplicity Studio only detects J-link, not the board.

This feature is not supported by J-Link EDU Mini.
    Ok, I thought so.
  • Hello Jose,

Are you using the following dev kit by any chance? silabs.com/products/developmen…dule-wireless-starter-kit

If yes then what does the LCD screen say for Debug Mode or DGB?
    If you want to use a external debug probe like the EDU Mini you need to set the Debug Mode to "IN".
    You can do that through Simplicity Studio. More information can be found in the Dev Kit User Guide.
    Alternatively you can use the J-Link OB that is already implemented on that dev kit.
    For this simply connect the USB-Mini Connector to your PC and switch the Debug Mode to MCU.

Then you should be able to connect to your device.

Best regards,
    Nino

Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

• SEGGER - Nino wrote:

Hello Jose,

Are you using the following dev kit by any chance? silabs.com/products/developmen…dule-wireless-starter-kit

If yes then what does the LCD screen say for Debug Mode or DGB?
    If you want to use a external debug probe like the EDU Mini you need to set the Debug Mode to "IN".
    You can do that through Simplicity Studio. More information can be found in the Dev Kit User Guide.
    Alternatively you can use the J-Link OB that is already implemented on that dev kit.
    For this simply connect the USB-Mini Connector to your PC and switch the Debug Mode to MCU.

Then you should be able to connect to your device.

Best regards,
    Nino
    No, I'm using this one silabs.com/products/wireless/b…uetooth-low-energy-module in a custom board with SWD, nRESET and POWER connections.

I can't set Debug Mode to "IN" because Simplicity Studio tell "No local adapter firmware available"

and shows "Unknown" debug mode in it properties.

Thanks for your attention,
    jose.
  • Hi Jose,

I just retested the setup you described with a EDU Mini and had no problems connecting to the device.
    Could you try the steps described under "Verify functionality using J-Link Commander" and post a screenshot of the complete Commander output?
    wiki.segger.com/J-Link_cannot_connect_to_the_CPU
    I can't set Debug Mode to "IN" because Simplicity Studio tell "No local adapter firmware available"

That is expected as this feature is only working on the SiLabs J-Link OBs on their eval base boards.
    So don't worry about it.
    Could you post an excerpt of your custom board schematics how you connected SWD etc. to the debug header?
    It might be that the connection here is incorrect.

Best regards,
    Nino

• Hi Jose,

Yes, I already posted:

Sorry, I overlooked it the first time.
    This error appeared to me only when I actively disabled the debug connection to the EDU Mini with the dev kit base board.
    So it is most likely related to a hardware setup problem. A J-Link issue can be ruled out as the connection works when using the BGM Module + SiLabs dev kit base board.

Looking on your schematic from the debug header side everything looks connected correctly.
    Unfortunately i don't know if this is the case with the MCU itself.
    I suggest contacting SiLabs in that regard and ask them if there are any additional HW connections needed to enable the use of a external debug probe like the J-Link.

Best regards,
    Nino

• SEGGER - Nino wrote:

Hi Jose,

Yes, I already posted:

Sorry, I overlooked it the first time.
    This error appeared to me only when I actively disabled the debug connection to the EDU Mini with the dev kit base board.
    So it is most likely related to a hardware setup problem. A J-Link issue can be ruled out as the connection works when using the BGM Module + SiLabs dev kit base board.

Looking on your schematic from the debug header side everything looks connected correctly.
    Unfortunately i don't know if this is the case with the MCU itself.
    I suggest contacting SiLabs in that regard and ask them if there are any additional HW connections needed to enable the use of a external debug probe like the J-Link.

Best regards,
    Nino
    OK, many thanks for your help!

Best Regards,
    jose.