[SOLVED] Flasher ARM with NXP K64 ERR255

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• [SOLVED] Flasher ARM with NXP K64 ERR255

Hi,
    we use segger Flasher ARM with target NXP(Freescale) K64 (MK64FN1M0_VLQ12). Software J-Flash V6.20h
    Our target Software is download via Network into Flasher ARM.
    Options:
    - Erase -> Chip
    - Program -> yes
    - Verify -> via CRC
    - Start application -> via reset pin
    To start programming we use the RS232 with #AUTO
    After switching on Flasher ARM and target, the first programming with #AUTO fails with following messages:
    #STATUS:INITIALIZING
    #STATUS:CONNECTING
    #STATUS:ERASING
    #STATUS:ERR255:Error while flashing
    Then I switch target off / on and start #AUTO again
    everything works fine and ends with
    #STATUS:OK ....
    and my target application starts.
    HINT:
    Our target device is already programmed and has 64k of secured memory (Bootloader) at 0x0000.
    May that lead to #ERR255 ???
    Best Regards
    audi80
  • Hello audi80,

Thank you for your inquiry.
    We are not aware of such an issue.
    We will try to replicate the issue and come back to you.

Best regards,
    Nino
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.
  • Hello,

quick update about this case.
    We were able to reproduce the issue you were seeing.
    It is connected to you using the latest J-Link software version.
    The Flasher ARM v3 was discontinued ~5 years ago and since J-Link Software version V6.00 the J-Flash project file is not compatible to the old Flasher V3.
    Excerpt from release notes for V6.00: "J-Flash cfg file format has been made INCOMPATIBLE to older Flasher firmwares!!!!"
    So you need to use a J-Link Software version older than V6.00 e.g. V5.12 (just tested it successfully with that version.).
    To verify that this is the reason why flashing is failing for you, you can launch the Flasher in MSD mode (more information in user manual) and check the content of Flasher.LOG.
    There you will see that the project config file is showing parser errors related to the changes made since V6.00.

Alternatively in such cases we offer the Trade-in-program: segger.com/purchase/trade-in-program/
    So you can update your hardware for the new model at half cost.
    Would that be of interest to you?

Our target device is already programmed and has 64k of secured memory (Bootloader) at 0x0000.

This would be the next problem because the old Flasher ARM V3 does not support locked Kinetis devices in stand alone mode.
    As the Flasher V3 is discontinued there will be no FW updates anymore that might add that feature.
    So if you want to program locked Kinetis devices in stand alone mode you will need to upgrade to our latest Flasher model.

Best regards,
    Nino

Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

• Flasher ARM with NXP K64 ERR255

Hello Nino,
    thank you for your answer.
    Why do you suppose us to use a Flasher ARM v3??
    We use a Flasher ARM with Production DATE 17/04/25 Part No. 5.07.01 SN164XXX634
    I think our Flasher ARM is new and should work with Software Version V6.20h.
    Are there any issues known with our Flasher ARM and Kinetis K64 target?
    Please have one more look on my problem.
    If you need further information, please let me know.
    Best regards
    audi80
  • Hello audi80,

Why do you suppose us to use a Flasher ARM v3??

We assumed you would be using a v3 because the issue was only reproducible with that hardware on our side.
    Sorry for that misconception.

I think our Flasher ARM is new and should work with Software Version V6.20h.

This is correct and should be the case.

Are there any issues known with our Flasher ARM and Kinetis K64 target?

Usually no. Only if the K64 Flash is irreversibly locked then programing will obviously fail. But if you have not changed that settings everything should be working as expected.
    I just tried to reproduce the issue again with a Flasher ARM V4.2 and i had no issues programing the target whatsoever.

For reproduction purposes, could you provide us with the J-Flash project file?
    How does your bootloader program address range 0x400-0x40F?
    Also could you send us the bin/srec/mot/hex file that you are trying to program?
    What is the content of the Flasher.LOG when you boot the Flasher in MSD mode?

Best regards,
    Nino

• Flasher ARM with NXP K64 ERR255

Hi Nino,
    our .LOG in MSD - mode is this pattern every time. When my Software gets back an error from Flasher ARM, it retrys 3 times. Then give up. After that i power-cycle the target and it works first time.
    SN: 894 - Failed
    SN: 894 - Failed
    SN: 894 - Failed --> power cycle
    SN: 894 - O.K. (7585 ms) --> same target works first time
    --> and so on ....
    SN: 895 - Failed
    SN: 895 - O.K. (7583 ms)

SN: 896 - Failed
    SN: 896 - O.K. (7583 MS)
    Where can I send my files to? (jflash & hex) They shouldn't be public....
    Best regards
    audi80
  • Hi,

Ok, this issue seems to be related to something else.

Where can I send my files to? (jflash & hex) They shouldn't be public....

This is fully understandable, please send the files to segger.com/support/technical-support/

We will then try to reproduce the issue and offer a solution as soon as possible.

Best regards,
    Nino

• Hi audi80,

Files have been received.
    We are currently investigating the issue.
    Further correspondence will be taken trough e-mail from this point on.
    This thread will be closed now.

Best regards,
    Nino