[SOLVED] Not possible to place a debug view into an empty dock while debugging

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• [SOLVED] Not possible to place a debug view into an empty dock while debugging

Hi, I'm Matthew. I use

- 64-bit SES 3.26 on 64-bit Windows 10

- J-Link Plus or onboard J-Link (Nordic's dev kits have a J-Link on the board itself)

- J-Link 6.16h

- Nordic's PCA10040 v1.1.1 board (this board uses nRF52832-QFAA MCU)

- STM32F4 Discovery board

I moved the "Memory Usage" view out from the dock.

I tried to place that inside the dock again. However, there were no blue boxes indicating whether the view is placeable or not.

For instance, if I move "Locals" view out from the dock, these blue boxes appear.

Whereas if I try to place the view where it was, this box doesn't appear. Can you give me some help?

-Best Regards
    -Best Regards, Matthew
  • Hi Matthew,

Thank you for your inquiry.

I tried to reproduce that issue and it was working for the memory usage window no problem.
    Could you try to create a clean project and see if the same problem appears there?

Edit: I used the latest ES version. Does updating ES solve the issue?

Best regards,
    Nino
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.
  • Hi, Nino! In my previous post, I used 64-bit SES 3.26 on 64-bit Windows 10.

Now, I have updated SES to 3.30, as you see my shared video .

However, the update didn't solve my problem. Both versions(3.26 and 3.30) showed the same result. Am I doing the wrong way?

I failed to move the "Memory Usage" window to the "Locals" window.

I have also uploaded my computer's information. Can you take a look, please?

-Best Regards
    Images
    • SysVersion.png

50.19 kB, 792×859, viewed 490 times
    • CPU.png

28.95 kB, 403×402, viewed 491 times
    -Best Regards, Matthew

The post was edited 1 time, last by MatthewKyeo ().

• Hi Matthew,

Thank you for posting the video, it helped to solve the mystery ;)

What you did at some point is drag the window out of ES, then it becomes a "floating" window.
    Now you are trying to merge two floating windows (ES itself and the floating memory usage window) which is not possible.
    All you have to do is drag the "inner" icon that says "Memory Usage" and not the outer rim of the window.
    Then you will be able to merge the window back into ES.

Best regards,
    Nino

Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

• SEGGER - Nino wrote:

All you have to do is drag the "inner" icon that says "Memory Usage" and not the outer rim of the window.

Woah. I see. I had a hard time understanding your words.

Finally, I have merged them! Check my video ~. In my case, I haven't clicked the inner icon. If I clicked it, it shows options and it didn't make the window merge.

So I clicked the bar where it has the inner icon. Thanks for solving this!

One opinion here; in the next or future update on SES, can you change this to drag the window instead of dragging the inner icon?

It was quite hard to find out for a newbie like me. :wacko:

Anyways, thanks for your help, Nino! Case clear~

-Best Regards
    -Best Regards, Matthew
  • Hi Matthew,

Woah. I see. I had a hard time understanding your words.

Yeah, sorry but it was rather hard to describe :P

One opinion here; in the next or future update on SES, can you change this to drag the window instead of dragging the inner icon?

Unfortunately this is a limitation by Windows on how they handle window instances that are separate.

Anyways, thanks for your help, Nino! Case clear~

Happy to help.
    I will, consider this case as closed then.

Best regards,
    Nino