OMAP-L138

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Has anyone been able to connect the ARM9 core of the TI OMAP-L138?

The datasheet for the L138 describes a sequence to be applied to the TAP Router Module to add the ARM9 to the scan chain. I've tried (so far unsuccessfully) to use various combinations of J-Link Commander's Config, wjc, wjd, wjraw low level commands to get connected, but I haven't stumbled on the right sequence yet.

If anyone has been able to connect to the OMAP-L138 I would be eternally grateful to learn what steps work.

Many thanks,

Ryan.
  • Hi Ryan,

I'm in the exact same boat with a TI OMAP-L138. Segger have recently released a new beta J-Link V4.11k which has the ability to specify a custom connection script file. This is supposed to allow the configuration of the TAP Router upon connection. However there is no documentation yet on how to use the J-Link commands to achieve this.

I'm no expert in low level JTAG functionality, and exactly how to bridge the gap between the documentated TI 'Initial Scan Chain Configuration' sequence and the J-Link command set is currently beyond me. I know that BDI and Lauterbach provide scripts for their own tools to achieve this for L137/L138 & 35XX. I'm waiting on a response from Segger support to hopefully given an indication of what to do.

Kelvin
  • Hi Ryan,

Support got back to me with an example script for a TMS570 MCU. I've tweaked it slightly and now J-Link Commander sees the OMAP-L138 ARM9 core. Just install the 4.11k software and drop the Default.JLinkScript into the directory with the jLink.exe executable. At this stage the script only appears to work with J-Link Commander as none of the other J-Link applications work. I'm waiting on support regarding GDBServer supporting the script functionality.

Cheers,
    Kelvin
    Files
  • Hello.
    Support got back to me with an example script for a TMS570 MCU. I've tweaked it slightly and now J-Link Commander sees the OMAP-L138 ARM9 core. Just install the 4.11k software and drop the Default.JLinkScript into the directory with the jLink.exe executable. At this stage the script only appears to work with J-Link Commander as none of the other J-Link applications work. I'm waiting on support regarding GDBServer supporting the script functionality.
    This script works well with J-Link Commander and J-Link Mem, still there are some glitches when CPU does not halt. But it seems that for now such a method don't work with IAR Embedded Workbench, because when degugging starts EWARM calls it's own instance of JLinkArm.dll and does not load the script automaticaly. When I load the script later in J-Link Control Panel, debugging process already failed.
    I belief it is possible to set up TAP router using CPY debugger macro-functions (which are very close to script commands and to J-Link Commander JTAG commands too), but there are no macros to update IR and DR pre-amble and post-amble counts.
    So any info concerning work with JTAG using macros would be very usefull.

Best regards.
  • Hi Kelvin,

a new version of the GDB Server (V4.11m) which supports
    J-Link scriptfiles will be released later today.

The new version will be available for download on our website: segger.com/download_jlink_beta.html

Best regards
    Alex
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.
  • Script (Connect) file for any application using J-Link, incl. IAR EWARM

Hello All,

It seems the script file feature is something that is needed by quite a number of users.
    In order to make sure the script file feature can be used with any software using the
    J-Link software, we just added a feature:

When the JLinkArm.dll is loaded, it checks if a file called "default.jlinkscript" is located
    in the same directory as the dll. If so, it is automatically loaded.This allows activation of
    a script even if the debugger does not set a project or supports an other way of specifying
    a script file, so it works for IAR, Keil, GDBServer and everything else.

This feature is present from V4.11n on.

BTW, the latest Beta contains also documentation of the commands available in script files.

Below a sample connect file for an TI OMAP L138.

C Source Code

1. //
    2. // J-Link Target setup file for IcePick on TI OMAP L138
    3. // Note that a very similar init works for other TI devices. In case of of doubt, please contact support@segger.com
    4. //
    5. //Dialog.MessageBox("Setting up Icepick");
    6. //
    7. // Setup Icepick
    8. //
    9. // In order to use the "WriteIR" and "WriteDR" commands,
    10. // IRLen of device has to be set first.
    11. // If you have multiple devices in the scan chain at boot up time
    12. // IRPRE, DRPRE, IRPOST and DRPOST have also be set in order to use the "WriteIR" and "WriteDR" commands
    13. //
    14. JTAG.IRLen=6;
    15. JTAG.Speed = 1000; // Set high JTAG speed
    16. //
    17. // JTAG.Write Syntax JTAG.Write(NumBits, <TMS>, <TDI>)
    18. //
    19. JTAG.Write (6, 0x1F,0x1F); // TAP Reset
    20. JTAG.WriteIR(7);
    21. //
    22. // JTAG.WriteDR Syntax JTAG.WriteDR(NumBits, <TDIData>)
    23. //
    24. JTAG.WriteDR(8, 0x89);
    25. JTAG.WriteIR(2);
    26. JTAG.WriteDR(32, 0x81000080);
    27. JTAG.WriteDR(32, 0xA2002008);
    28. JTAG.WriteDR(32, 0xA2002108);
    29. JTAG.WriteIR(0x3F); // Bypass
    30. JTAG.Write (10,0,0); // Write 10 clocks
    31. //
    32. // Configure JTAG chain, so J-Link knows to which devices it has to "talk"
    33. //
    34. JTAG.IRPRE=0;
    35. JTAG.DRPRE=0;
    36. JTAG.IRPOST=6;
    37. JTAG.DRPOST=1;
    38. JTAG.IRLen=4;
    39. CPU=arm926ejs;
    Display All

Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

• Automatic loading doesn't work through IAR

I am trying to connect to the L138 through IAR, and it looks like the script file does not load along with JLinkArm.dll. If I comment in the MessageBox, I do not get the pop-up when I start to debug. If I then try to connect using JLink.exe just to test the connection, it works and I get the MessageBox popup. I put the script in each directory that it could possibly be called in (arm\bin, common\bin, project directory, project settings directory) and I also set the script field of the JLink settings file to point to arm\bin\Default.JLinkScript, which is where IAR gets its JLinkArm.dll from.

Thanks,

Chris
  • ETB access in OMAP L138

The JLink scripts attached to this forum enable me to debug the ARM core. However, I have not been able to recognize the ETB. I modified the script as attached and I get the attached output from JLink Commander. Note that 3 JTAG devices are detected with a lotal IR length of 14 (which looks right). Also note that the ETB is not listed as a recognized device.

Has anyone been able to gain access to the ETB on this part?
    Images
    • omapl138_no_etb.PNG

17.46 kB, 668×331, viewed 2,448 times
    Files
    • Default.zip

(825 Byte, downloaded 1,217 times, last: )
  • Hi all,

the Syntax of the scriptfiles (and the scriptfile extension) have been
    changed in the latest beta version of the J-Link software (V4.15o).

The DLL now searches for "Default.c" instead of "Default.JLinkScript"
    The general extension of scriptfiles should be *.c, since the scripfiles are using C-like Syntax.

Please find attached a scriptfile for the OMAP-L138 which makes is possible to use ETB in IAR EWARM (using a J-Link DLL of V4.15o or later).

Best regards
    Alex
    Files

• PLL init on OMAP L138

Is it possible for me to perform memory operations on the target using the JLink script?

Specifically, I would like to increase the clock speed and configure the external memory interface on the OMAP L138. Both of those operations can be performed using memory mapped registers.
  • Hi deruwe,

you can implement this by performing memory accesses via the AHB-AP,
    but currently there are not any memory read/write functions available for the script file.
    Maybe here will be memory manipulation functions available in later versions, but even if,
    I can not give you a schedule now.

Best regards
    Alex