RTT logs do not appear on SES's Debug Terminal view

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• RTT logs do not appear on SES's Debug Terminal view

Hi, I'm Matthew. I use

- 64-bit SES 3.26 on 64-bit Windows 10

- J-Link Plus or onboard J-Link (Nordic's dev kits have a J-Link on the board itself)

- J-Link 6.16h

- Nordic's PCA10040 v1.1.1 board (this board uses nRF52832-QFAA MCU)

- SEGGER RTT Viewer

"Quote: By default, Embedded Studio evaluation projects are configured to use the Real Time Transfer module"
    In SEGGER's demo video , I noticed that the debug terminal view can be used as the RTT viewer.

I was trying to test whether the RTT log messages are able to print it on the SES's debug terminal view.

So I used Nordic's example project from Nordic's SDK 14. This SDK supports SEGGER's RTT.

For instance,

Source Code

1. // NRF_LOG_WARNING_COLOR - ANSI escape code prefix.
    2. // <0=> Default
    3. // <1=> Black
    4. // <2=> Red
    5. // <3=> Green
    6. // <4=> Yellow
    7. #ifndef NRF_LOG_WARNING_COLOR
    8. #define NRF_LOG_WARNING_COLOR 4
    9. #endif

The example printed RTT logs and I checked it using the RTT Viewer.

Whereas, as you look at this demo video , I cannot see the log messages from the SES's debug terminal view.

1) Is this an expected behavior, or do I have to configure the emProject file?

2) Can I use the RTT viewer while debugging the code since RTT doesn't use SWO?

Sometimes, the RTT viewer does not display log messages when I'm debugging. Sadly, I cannot find the condition while debugging with the RTT viewer turned on.

3) When debugging the project with SEGGER's Ozone, the terminal shows the RTT messages without the color settings.

Does the color feature only available at the RTT Viewer?

-Best Regards, Matthew
    Images
    • OzoneEx.png

78.34 kB, 1,106×803, viewed 2,579 times
    -Best Regards, Matthew

The post was edited 1 time, last by MatthewKyeo ().

• Hello Matthew,

Sorry for the delay in response.

In this case it is expected as you can only use one viewer at the same time. Not both.

2) Can I use the RTT viewer while debugging the code since RTT doesn't use SWO?

Yes, that is what it was meant for in the first place, to replace SWO printf debugging so you do not waste another pin for debugging.

3) When debugging the project with SEGGER's Ozone, the terminal shows the RTT messages without the color settings.

Ozone currently does not support the color feature.

Best regards,
    Nino
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.
  • SEGGER - Nino wrote:

In this case it is expected as you can only use one viewer at the same time. Not both.

Hi, Nino!

"Quote: By default, Embedded Studio evaluation projects are configured to use the Real Time Transfer module"

Well, this quote was introduced in the SEGGER's YouTube video.

Then do I have to always open the RTT viewer to see the RTT logs?

I hope there was a way to view the RTT logs from the SES without opening the RTT viewer.

-Best Regards
    -Best Regards, Matthew
  • Hello Matthew,

Then do I have to always open the RTT viewer to see the RTT logs?

I hope there was a way to view the RTT logs from the SES without opening the RTT viewer.

You do not need the RTT viewer when using Embedded Studio. Once you start debugging in ES with RTT the Debug Console will output any RTT messages.
    Sorry if i was not clear enough in my last post.

Best regards,
    Nino

Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

• SEGGER - Nino wrote:

You do not need the RTT viewer when using Embedded Studio. Once you start debugging in ES with RTT the Debug Console will output any RTT messages.

Hi, Nino! The problem is that I do not observe any RTT messages from the "Debug Console" while debugging.

Can you take a look at this picture? The RTT viewer prints the RTT messages. Whereas the "Debug Terminal" shows nothing.

I think there are some configurable options that I'm missing. Can you help me with this?

Also, does the color feature available when viewing RTT messages from the "Debug Termina"?

-Best Regards, Matthew
    -Best Regards, Matthew

The post was edited 3 times, last by MatthewKyeo ().

• Hello Matthew,

Is the J-Link RTT Viewer open while debugging with ES?
    If yes please close it, otherwise the RTT Viewer will grab all RTT messages away from the debug terminal.
    Both at the same time will not work.

Also, does the color feature available when viewing RTT messages from the "Debug Termina"?

The color feature is available in the ES debug terminal.

Best regards,
    Nino

• SEGGER - Nino wrote:

Is the J-Link RTT Viewer open while debugging with ES?
    If yes please close it, otherwise the RTT Viewer will grab all RTT messages away from the debug terminal.
    Both at the same time will not work.

Oh, silly me. Thanks for your help!

I see RTT messages! The yellow texts are hard to see in the white background.

Anyways, you have saved my day. Thanks!

-Best Regards
    -Best Regards, Matthew
  • Hi Matthew,

I see RTT messages! The yellow texts are hard to see in the white background.

Anyways, you have saved my day. Thanks!

Great to hear that you are up and running again.
    You should be able to change the color of the text and the background color of the text in the debug terminal as well.
    More information can be found in the user manual.

Example:

C Source Code

1. SEGGER_RTT_WriteString(0,
    2. RTT_CTRL_RESET"Red: " \
    3. RTT_CTRL_TEXT_BRIGHT_RED"This text is red. " \
    4. RTT_CTRL_TEXT_BLACK"" \
    5. RTT_CTRL_BG_BRIGHT_RED"This background is red. " \
    6. RTT_CTRL_RESET"Normal text again."
    7. );

Best regards,
    Nino