[SOLVED] Multi target debugging via JTAG daisy chaining

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• [SOLVED] Multi target debugging via JTAG daisy chaining

I have a product that contains 2x STM32L476xx chips connected via JTAG daisy chain. I have purchased a J-Link Base programmer but am unsure of the proper way to download to and debug both chips at the same time using a single J-Link Base probe.

I am using Eclipse 4.7.0 on OS X w/ the appropriate plugins. I have a working project and am able to download and debug on one of the processors in the chain via a Segger J-Link GDB server debug configuration but I don't see any options to specify different applications and different targets. Can this be done?

I have also played around with Ozone but have not been able to figure out how to get both chips programmed / debugged (again using a single J-Link base probe). I believe this may be possible via the scripting interface but am not sure where to start. Is there a tutorial on this?

If neither of these tools work, what is the preferred method to do this?
  • Hi,

It is possible to debug 2 cores in a JTAG-chain at the same time using only one J-Link.

1. Create a setup (e.g. a Ozone project) which connects to the 1st core and test if programming and debugging (stepping, breakpoints etc) work
    2. Create another Ozone project for the 2nd core
    3. Open two instances of Ozone (= two independent Ozone windows should be open now)
    4. Open the 1st project in the first instance in the first instance of Ozone and
    the 2nd project in the second instance of Ozone.
    5. Start debugging in both instances of Ozone

Best regards,
    Niklas
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.
  • Hi,

It should work when using one instance of Eclipse per core, if there are no issues on Eclipse side in regards to using two instances at the same time.

Best regards,
    Niklas
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.