[SOLVED] Linux Ozone Not Functioning With ELF Loaded

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• [SOLVED] Linux Ozone Not Functioning With ELF Loaded

I hope this isn't too much of a newbie question, but this is my first attempt at using Ozone (with a J-Trace Pro for Cortex-M) and I'm experiencing an odd issue. We are using the Linux version of Ozone, since Linux is where our code exists, if I create an Ozone project without pointing to my device source code ELF file, Ozone seems to work reasonable. In this case I can see the processor registers, view memory, step through the assembly code, halt and continue execution. The basic stuff works. When an Ozone project is created which does point to my device source code ELF file, Ozone does just doesn't work. The registers and memory windows never shows any values, I can halt the processor but not step through the code or continue execution. I do see the source code and function names, and when I attempt to step I see the "Debug.StepOver()" call in the console, but basically no other reaction.

Any thoughts as to what I might be doing incorrectly?
  • Hello Steve,

Thank you for your inquiry.
    Such a behaviour is unknown to us.
    I will need some additional information to narrow the issue down.

1. What target device are you connecting to?
    2. What target interface are you using (SWD/JTAG)?
    3. What Software versions of Ozone and J-Link Software are you currently using?
    4. Could you attach the .elf file and .jdebug file in question?
    5. How is the J-Link connected to the host PC? Any hubs in between?

Best regards,
    Nino
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.
  • Hi Nino,

Some of the information you asked for:

1) An STM32F429II on a custom board
    2) SWD, but I could use either SWD or JTAG (all the pins are there)
    3) Ozone = V2.44e, JLINK = V6.18c
    4) I will try to make a small simple project which I would feel comfortable sharing. Attach is a jdebug file without connection to an ELF file.
    5) I've tried USB and ethernet. I am using a USB hub (StarTech ST7300USB3B) and an Ethernet switch (Netgear GS105)

One other potentially odd bit in my configuration is that Ubuntu is running in a VMWare virtual machine within my Windows 7 PC, so there are those drivers in the mix as well. My VMWare version is 12.5.6 build-5528349.

I will work on a ELF I can share.

Thanks,

Steve.
    Files
  • Hello Steve,

Thank you for providing the additional information.

I suspect it might be some parsing problems with the .elf file you were using. What compiler did you use to create it?
    Under the following link you can find an example project i created so you can try it out as a reference project: download.segger.com/Nino/Ozone_ES_STM32F429II.zip

It is a very generic project, so no PLL or peripheral init happens so you can use it on your custom hardware as well.
    For compiling i used our own IDE Embedded Studio that is also available on Linux and is free to use for evaluation purposes: Embedded Studio
    As well as the latest Ozone version V2.50.

Could you check if the example project is showing everything as expected? I alson enabled Trace functionality in the example project so you can use trace feature right away.

Would it be possible to provide a .elf file where this issue happens that is ok to share with us so we can investigate further?

Best regards,
    Nino

Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

• I was able to get Ozone functioning well just this morning. The main change I made was adding in the trace pin configurations similar to the project for the "Cortex-M Trace Reference Board" project that I found on your website.

To answer your question below, my project is built in Linux with the "arm-none-eabi-" compiler. We don't use any specific IDE.
  • Hello Steve,

Do I understand you correctly and everything is working as expected now?
    If so i would consider this case as closed then.

Best regards,
    Nino