[SOLVED] Slow download speed after firmware update V6.18d

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• [SOLVED] Slow download speed after firmware update V6.18d

Hello,

after an automatic firmware update of my J-Link PRO (v4.00) with firmware version V6.18d, the download speed to the target device AM3359 is very slow. I solved it by downgrading to the previous version V6.14h, like described in chapter "16.5.2 Invalidating the firmware" of the manual.
    Please let me know, if this is a problem to be fixed in newer firmware releases or if this problem can be solved by configuration options.

Thanks in advance,
    Stephan
  • Hello Stephan,

Thank you for your inquiry.
    The described behaviour is unknown to us.
    How did you determine the speed loss?
    What was your exact setup (Hardware, Software etc.)?

Best regards,
    Nino
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.
  • Hello Nino,

the hardware is our CPU board with an AM3359. The development software is the TI Code Composer Studio 5.5 (CCS5). I use the USB interface. After the firmware update Windows detects the J-Link as a new device, but the driver JLinkCDC_x64.sys is the same. The .out file has a size of 2.6MByte. With the older firmware versions the download is done in a few seconds. When I download the image with the new firmware V6.18d, the download is done block wise. After each block (~10%) the progress stops and the next block is sent. The download speed is estimated 10 times slower. I used the versions V5.02c and V6.14h without problems. I the release notes I found some speed related modification in version V6.16f, but I didn't try this one. In the CCS5 debugger directory I updated the JLinkARM.dll too, without any change. I tried a different computer. The same result. I did a Windows reboot. The same result. I used the commander and set the speed to auto and adaptive. The same result.

Best Regards,
    Stephan
  • Hello Stephan,

Thank you for the setup information.
    Could you please attach the J-Link logfiles after the "fast" and "slow" run?

A how to is described here.

Best regards,
    Nino

Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

• Hello Stephan,

how did you create the log files? They seem to be incomplete.
    Did you run the target download and then save the log or how did you proceed?

Best regards,
    Nino

• Hello Stephan,

I followed the description.

Which description exactly? As according to the log files no download happened ever.
    To help you further i will need full log files.

Best regards,
    Nino

• Hello Nino,

attached are new log files. I found out, that the logging function cleared the log file when I go to the settings page to change to a new log file name. So now I did a backup before going to the settings page. In the log file I can see, that the download is about 9 seconds with the old firmware and about 54 seconds with the latest firmware.

Regards,
    Stephan

PS: In the slow_2.txt log file I see the "SEGGER J-Link V6.14h Log File" comment, but the firmware was 6.18d for sure. After this I did a "exec invalidatefw" and update to V6.14h. Maybe I started the commander from the V6.14h installation directory.
    Files
    • fast_2.txt

(459.79 kB, downloaded 431 times, last: )
    • slow_2.txt

(430.07 kB, downloaded 360 times, last: )

The post was edited 1 time, last by shilchenbach ().

• Hello Stephan,

Thanks for providing the log files.

PS: In the slow_2.txt log file I see the "SEGGER J-Link V6.14h Log File" comment, but the firmware was 6.18d for sure. After this I did a "exec invalidatefw" and update to V6.14h. Maybe I started the commander from the V6.14h installation directory.

This means that both log files have been created while V6.14h was running.
    It seems that whatever program you used for the test was still using version V.614h instead of V6.18d even after the firmware upgrade.
    Make sure that the program you are using for download also uses the newest J-Link library.
    To do so you can simply go to the J-Link Software install folder and execute: JLinkDLLUpdater.exe

Make sure all programs you are using are selected and press next.
    Does this solve your problem?
    If not could you provide me with the .elf file of your project so i can try to reproduce the issue on an eval board?

Best regards,
    Nino

• Hallo Nino,

attached is a new log file when using the firmware V6.18d and the JLinkARM.dll from this package. I attached the ELF file I downloaded too.
    You can try any AM335x board. The cheapest one is the BeagleBoneBlack for 50 Euro. But you have to solder a TI J-TAG connector first to the bottom side. The image is downloaded into the DDR3-RAM at address 0x80000000. I am using the TI Code Composer Studio 5.5.

Best Regards,
    Stephan
    Files
    • slow_v618d.txt

(218.31 kB, downloaded 294 times, last: )
    • Sil2SafeOS1.7z

(694.25 kB, downloaded 343 times, last: )
  • Hello Stephan,

Thank you for providing the files.

I used a BeagleBone Black with a AM3359 Chip on it and i have troubles to download your application at all with Ozone our IDE independent debugger.
    Did you use exclusively CodeComposer for downloading the application or did you try to load your output .bin file with e.g. J-Link Commander as well?
    Could you provide me with a bin/srec/mot/hex file of your output so i can try downloading the application with J-Link Commander as well?
    Could you try to install the latest Code Composer studio and see if the issue persists?

Best regards,
    Nino

• Hi all,

We have found the problem.
    Will be fixed in V6.20a which is going online later today:
    segger.com/downloads/jlink/

We are sorry for all inconveniences caused.

Best regards
    Alex Gruener - Product Manager J-Link