Using JLink with Keil uVision version 5.24

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Using JLink with Keil uVision version 5.24

Hello All,

I have a J-Link Ultra+; trying to debug an RTX app w/Keil - and at the very beginning it jumps to a bad address - a DCD 'table'.
    The target is an ST32F4xxx.

If I use the ST-Link - this does not happen.

I have been able to do the configuration where I can attach to a running target - that works - but none of the RTX plug-ins seem to get recognized when I do that.

I just downloaded version 6.18c and am using that.

I noticed a note on the Keil site to use the RDI I/F with JLink; I'm attached; but haven't confirmed if RDI is the mode of operation as of yet.

I've been able to attach with SW or JTAG with the same result - I prefer JTAG since we have that fully pinned out.

The flash download from the Keil uVsion IDE works just fine; even hits reset and starts the app after it is downloaded.

Thanks,
    John W.
  • Hello Again,

With the Ultra+; I'm hitting the hard fault handler as soon as I jump from the reset vector.

Maybe this is a known issue; or I've got something wrong. I do have the hard fault handler coded; but it is showing up as:

0x08002cc0 FFFFFFFF DCD 0xFFFFFFFF

which isn't right either for some reason.

Regards,
    John W.
  • Hello Again,

I'm occasionally getting a message about the Jlink not being able to drive NRST low when it makes a connection to the target; I see this sometimes too just running the standalone flasher.

I'm not seeing it all the time; and I've checked that signal to make sure it isn't being driven hard; so, how strong can the JLink drive the NRST JTAG signal? I know it's probably in the datasheet; but I've seen
    this pop up with the Keil tools - and I didn't even know this was an issue until I got the JLink settings correct.

Any insight; other than 'check the boards' NRST signal' - which I've already done, appreciated.

Thanks,
    John W.
  • Hi John,

could you please provide us with a screenshot of the error?

I'm not seeing it all the time

Could you estimate how often? 1 out of 5, 10, 20, 100, ...

Best regards,
    Niklas
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.
  • Hello Niklas,

I'd say, on certain boards - 1 out of 2. I do have boards that I've done bring-up on and don't see it at all. Reset circuit is the same; or at least should be.

Screen shots attached.

Thanks,
    John
    Images
    • debug-error.jpg

108.81 kB, 996×401, viewed 1,450 times
    • jlink-error.jpg

120.86 kB, 933×444, viewed 1,388 times
  • Helo,

I have a very similar Problem with Keil 5.24, J-Link and a NXP 1788 Eval board.

I'm using the (unchanged) sample project provided for Keil by Segger (Start\BoardSupport\NXP\LPC1788_EA)

The code vom compiles, is written to flash and runs after a reset.
    But if I try to connect to the target via the debugger, it does not show the sourcecode. Only the disassembly view works.

Here is the log of the J-Link connecting to the target:

Target info:
    ------------
    Device: LPC1788
    VTarget = 3.248V
    State of Pins: TCK: 1, TDI: 0, TDO: 0, TMS: 0, TRES: 1, TRST: 1
    Hardware-Breakpoints: 6
    Software-Breakpoints: 8192
    Watchpoints: 4
    JTAG speed: 4800 kHz

Load "C:\\develop\\embostrial_new\\Start\\BoardSupport\\NXP\\LPC1788_EA\\Output\\Debug\\Start_LPC1788_EA_CMSIS.axf"
    *** error 57: illegal address (0x00001000)
    * JLink Info: J-Link: Flash download: Bank 0 @ 0x00000000: 1 range affected (4096 bytes)
    * JLink Info: J-Link: Flash download: Total time needed: 0.262s (Prepare: 0.078s, Compare: 0.023s, Erase: 0.111s, Program: 0.042s, Verify: 0.000s, Restore: 0.005s)
    * JLink Info: Reset: Halt core after reset via DEMCR.VC_CORERESET.
    * JLink Info: Reset: Reset device via AIRCR.SYSRESETREQ.

I have no idea where the "illegal address" error comes from.
    It's no Hardware problem, as I have tried it with a J-Trace als well, showing the same problem.
    I have also tried J-Link Driver versions 6.16c, 6.18c and 6.19d: makes no difference.
    Using JTAG or SWD: makes no difference.
    Using ETM trace (with J-Trace): makes no difference.

The same sample project, but for EmbeddedStudio 3.24 runs/flashes well and can be debugged from ES
    without any problem.

Any ideas ? (besides buying an ULINK ;( )

regards