[SOLVED] Possible to integrate a MISRA C checking external tool?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• [SOLVED] Possible to integrate a MISRA C checking external tool?

Hi, I'm Matthew. I use SES 3.24 on 64-bit Windows 10 machine & MacBook Pro Sierra 10.12.

In the SEGGER's web page , it says that
    "

External Tools

For further analysis of your code, for example to run a MISRA check on your sources, Embedded Studio features the inclusion of external tools.
    You can add commands to be executed and run them on your project items.
    The tool output is shown in the log window, and for tools such as Lint you can jump directly to reported source lines."

As shown in the Wiki page about C/C++ List of tools for static code analysis,

I had

- Lint
    - PC-Lint
    - Splint

in my mind and I was wondering whether one of it can be included as an external tool to check MISRA C compliance.

Is there a documentation or a demo about SES including these external tools to check MISRA C compliance?

-Best Regards

-Best Regards, Matthew
  • Hello Matthew,

Thank you for your inquiry.

in my mind and I was wondering whether one of it can be included as an external tool to check MISRA C compliance.

Is there a documentation or a demo about SES including these external tools to check MISRA C compliance?

If you want to use Lint for example you only need to configure the global macro settings to link the Lint directory.

You can do so as follows:
    - Go to Tools->Options...->Building->Build->Global Macros
    - Edit the entry to: LINTDIR=c:/Lintinstalldirectory
    - Save entry

For "c:/Lintinstalldirectory" you enter wherever you have Lint installed to.

To use the tool simply right click your source coude Tools->Run Lint

There is currently no official documentation for this implementation but will follow shortly.
    For orientation how to implement other tools than lint you can use the tools.xml as reference.
    You can access it at: File->Open Studio Folder...-> External Tools Configuration

Best regards,
    Nino
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.
  • SEGGER - Nino wrote:

There is currently no official documentation for this implementation but will follow shortly.
    For orientation how to implement other tools than lint you can use the tools.xml as reference.
    You can access it at: File->Open Studio Folder...-> External Tools Configuration

Best regards,
    Nino

Hi, Nino. I see.

Hope to see the official document soon.

It would be nice if the document demonstrates the configuration using PC-Lint or Splint on a Windows 10 or MAC pc.

-Best Regards
    -Best Regards, Matthew
  • Hi Matthew,

Hope to see the official document soon.

It would be nice if the document demonstrates the configuration using PC-Lint or Splint on a Windows 10 or MAC pc.

This is definitely on our todo list and we will be making a tutorial on our wiki that explains the setup step by step.

Best regards,
    Nino

Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

• SEGGER - Nino wrote:

This is definitely on our todo list and we will be making a tutorial on our wiki that explains the setup step by step.

Thanks, Nino! I'm new to the forum. I don't know whether a "close thread" feature.

Anyways, the case is solved. I deeply appreciate your hard work and let's close this thread.

-Best regards
    -Best Regards, Matthew
  • Hi Matthew,

Thanks, Nino! I'm new to the forum. I don't know whether a "close thread" feature.

Don't worry, we the mods do the closing only if a question has been answered or a close requested by the user :)

Anyways, the case is solved. I deeply appreciate your hard work and let's close this thread.

Thank you for the flowers.
    I will consider this question as solved then.

Best regards,
    Nino