[SOLVED] Supported Target Voltage of J-Link EDU mini

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• [SOLVED] Supported Target Voltage of J-Link EDU mini

Hello there!

Currently I got an issue with the J-Link EDU mini. I'm trying to connect to a nRF51822 on a custom board. I had no problems using a J-Link EDU. Since I have no longer access to the J-Link EDU, I bought the 'mini' because it matches the PIN-out of my board perfectly.

Now, trying to connect to the nRF51 failed (no device detected). I started the J-Link Commander and it measures a stable voltage of 1.8V on VTref and the device is operating without any issues (detected via Bluetooth LE). On SEGGER's homepage it says, that the J-Link EDU mini has the same functionality according Cortex M as the J-Link EDU. Which has the same stats as the BASE. The BASE supports target voltages down to 1.2V.

Could it be that the mini does not support those low voltages? SEGGER's documentation didn't give me any hint.

Info: Powering the nRF51 via J-Link is no option, because of the DCDC on the board, which can't stand a higher Voltage than 2.2V.

I hope, you can help me out!

Best regards!
  • Hi,

while the EDU mini can measure VTREF (in contrast to J-Link OBs which just show 3.3V), it can not adjust its output voltage.
    Therefore, it can only work reliable with ~3.3 Voltage targets. 1.8V and 5V targets can work by chance, but there is no guarantee.
    On SEGGER's homepage it says, that the J-Link EDU mini has the same functionality according Cortex M as the J-Link EDU.

This relates to supported devices etc. We will update the website to make this more clear.

Best regards,
    Niklas
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.
  • Hi Forum,

we updated the webpage of J-Link EDU mini and added a specifications sheet:
    segger.com/products/debug-prob…k/models/j-link-edu-mini/

Best regards,
    Niklas
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.