[SOLVED] JLink EDU not working with NXP KV58F...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• [SOLVED] JLink EDU not working with NXP KV58F...

I have a TWR-KV58F220M tower dev board and I'm having trouble with the built-in OpenOCD jtag interfaces, so I thought I would give my J-Link EDU a try to see if it worked better. I hadn't used my J-Link EDU it in a year or two, but I was pretty sure it should work with a Cortex-M7 device. Unfortunately, I'm running into the following error:

-------------------------------
    J-Link V6.16h Info: The firmware connected debug probe (S/N: 268006092) does not support the connected core: Cortex-M7
    Please make sure that a current debug probe model is used and is running the latest firmware.
    If this message still shows up, please get in touch with SEGGER.
    Debug session will be closed now.

From within JLink commander, I get the following information showing the version of the firmware on the J-Link EDU:

SEGGER J-Link Commander V6.16h (Compiled Jul 14 2017 17:23:54)
    DLL version V6.16h, compiled Jul 14 2017 17:23:19
    Connecting to J-Link via USB...O.K.

Firmware: J-Link ARM V8 compiled Nov 28 2014 13:44:46
    Hardware version: V8.00
    S/N: 268006092
    License(s): FlashBP, GDB
    OEM: SEGGER-EDU
    VTref = 3.274V

The J-Link Updater utility reports I have the latest version of the firmware for by J-Link EDU unit, so I'm not sure how to go about updating it's firmware to something newer if that would fix this issue. The November 28, 2014 version of the software would seem to indicate an update is needed.

If I need to update to a newer professional J-Link unit, what specific models J-Link models are guaranteed to work with the NXP KV58F line of ARM MCUs?

Thanks,

Mike

• Hi Mike,

J-Link V8 does not support Cortex-M7. Support for Cortex-M7 was added in 10/2014.
    Please refer to this article for an overview about the different features of each hardware version.

Most new features are not backported to older J-Link Models after they reach end-of-life.
    J-Link V8 has been superseded by J-Link V9 in 11/2012, followed by J-Link V10 in 10/2015.
    In case you want to use the features available for current modells, we recommend to use our Trade-In Program.
    It’s simple! Send us your old or damaged J-Link, J-Trace, or Flasher and receive a 50% credit of its current list cost towards a unit of equal or greater value.

Unfortunately, J-Link EDU does not qualify for the trade-in program, but all non-hobbyist models (BASE, PLUS, ULTRA+, PRO) do.

what specific models J-Link models are guaranteed to work with the NXP KV58F line of ARM MCUs?

Since KV58 is listed in the list of supported devices: All models which support Cortex-M7 can be used with KV58 series devices.

Best regards,
    Niklas
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.
  • Hi Mike,

thanks for the feedback!

/Closed
    Best regards,
    Niklas
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.