[SOLVED] Jlink edu only detects ATSAMS70N21 when connected to SAM-xplained board with ATSAME70Q21

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• [SOLVED] Jlink edu only detects ATSAMS70N21 when connected to SAM-xplained board with ATSAME70Q21

My problem is that once connected to the board (via jtag and the board is powered by USB) J-link commander recognizes the chip as atsams70n21 or something like that instead of the atsame70q21 that is in place on the board.
    If you could help shed some light on this that would be wonderful. I should mention that it used to detect the correct chip, but now does not.
  • Hi,

My problem is that once connected to the board (via jtag and the board is powered by USB) J-link commander recognizes the chip as atsams70n21 or something like that instead of the atsame70q21 that is in place on the board.

J-Link Commander does not "autodetect" devices.
    Could you please provide us with a screenshot of J-Link Commander which shows the issue?

Best regards,
    Niklas
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.
  • Hi Niklas. You're right, I think the wiring for the power supply for the uC may have been the issue unfortunately (I bumped it and it connected successfully), but now I've come back to my previous problem which is Atmel studios freezing at "loading symbol info... (95%)" before asking me is I would like to terminate which is followed by "Timed out waiting for initial target stop event". The J-link led is off while this is happening. Keil uVision 5 also freezes when uploading a program.

The post was edited 2 times, last by n4alpaca ().

• Hi,

could you please give Ozone - The J-Link Debugger a try?
    Ozone is part of the software available for J-Link, which can be downloaded free of charge here .
    Ozone can be used for evaluation purposes free of charge with any J-Link. J-Link Plus or higher ship with a burned-in unlimited license for Ozone.
    • Start Ozone
    • In the startup-dialog, select Create New Project
    • Click on the Button "..." to the right of the Device Box and select your target device (Selecting only the core will only work when debugging in RAM)
    • Click Next
    • Choose the correct target interface (JTAG/SWD/etc..)
    • Use a valid speed (Default: 4000kHz, try 100-500 if default does not work)
    • Click Next
    • Click on the Button "..." in order to select a Data file (the .elf file / .out file/ etc build by the IDE)
    • Click Finish
    • Press F5 or click the green on/off button in the left upper corner
    • The debug session should be ready to use
    If anything fails, could you please post a screenshot of the complete session, and copy paste the complete contents of the Console window?
    This will help us the determine the cause of this issue.

Best regards,
    Niklas

Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

• I've uploaded the hex file as well

Console:

J-Link software found at: C:/Program Files/SEGGER/Ozone V2.44/JLink_x64.dll
    File path resolved: "Cortex-M7F.svd" was found at "C:/Program Files/SEGGER/Ozone V2.44/Config/CPU/Cortex-M7F.svd"
    Project.SetDevice ("Cortex-M7");
    Project.SetHostIF ("USB", "");
    Project.SetTargetIF ("SWD");
    Project.SetTIFSpeed ("5 kHz");
    Project.AddSvdFile ("Cortex-M7F.svd");
    File path resolved: "Cortex-M7F.svd" was found at "C:/Program Files/SEGGER/Ozone V2.44/Config/CPU/Cortex-M7F.svd"
    Project.AddSvdFile ("$(InstallDir)/Config/Peripherals/ARMv7M.svd");
    File path resolved: "$(InstallDir)/Config/Peripherals/ARMv7M.svd" was found at "C:/Program Files/SEGGER/Ozone V2.44//Config/Peripherals/ARMv7M.svd"
    File.Open ("C:/Users/Avi/Desktop/BreakoutBoard.hex");
    File.Open: completed in 1 ms
    Debug.SetConnectMode (CM_DOWNLOAD_RESET);
    Debug.Start();
    J-Link: Device "CORTEX-M7" selected.
    J-Link: Found SW-DP with ID 0x0BD11477
    J-Link: Scanning APs, stopping at first AHB-AP found.
    J-Link: AP[0] IDR: 0x04770041 (AHB-AP)
    J-Link: AHB-AP ROM: 0xE00FD000 (Base addr. of first ROM table)
    J-Link: CPUID reg: 0x410FC271. Implementer code: 0x41 (ARM)
    J-Link: Found Cortex-M7 r0p1, Little endian.
    J-Link: FPUnit: 8 code (BP) slots and 0 literal slots
    J-Link: CoreSight components:
    J-Link: ROMTbl[0] @ E00FD000
    J-Link: ROMTbl[0][0]: E00FE000, CID: B105100D, PID: 000BB4C8 ROM Table
    J-Link: ROMTbl[1] @ E00FE000
    J-Link: ROMTbl[1][0]: E00FF000, CID: B105100D, PID: 000BB4C7 ROM Table
    J-Link: ROMTbl[2] @ E00FF000
    J-Link: ROMTbl[2][0]: E000E000, CID: B105E00D, PID: 000BB00C SCS
    J-Link: ROMTbl[2][1]: E0001000, CID: B105E00D, PID: 000BB002 DWT
    J-Link: ROMTbl[2][2]: E0002000, CID: B105E00D, PID: 000BB00E FPB
    J-Link: ROMTbl[2][3]: E0000000, CID: B105E00D, PID: 000BB001 ITM
    J-Link: ROMTbl[1][1]: E0041000, CID: B105900D, PID: 000BB975 ETM-M7
    J-Link: ROMTbl[0][1]: E0040000, CID: B105900D, PID: 000BB9A9 TPIU-M7
    J-Link: Cache: Separate I- and D-cache.
    J-Link: I-Cache L1: 16 KB, 256 Sets, 32 Bytes/Line, 2-Way
    J-Link: D-Cache L1: 16 KB, 128 Sets, 32 Bytes/Line, 4-Way
    J-Link: connected to target device
    J-Link: Reset: Halt core after reset via DEMCR.VC_CORERESET.
    J-Link: Reset: Reset device via AIRCR.SYSRESETREQ.

[img]http://i68.tinypic.com/28anbyh.jpg[/img]
    Files

The post was edited 2 times, last by n4alpaca ().

• Hi,

the hex file contains data for 0x400000.
    What memory (RAM, int. Flash, external (CFI-)NOR, SPI) is available on your target device (ATSAME70Q21) @ 0x400000?

Best regards,
    Niklas

• Hi,

as I said in my previous post,
    Click on the Button "..." to the right of the Device Box and select your target device (Selecting only the core will only work when debugging in RAM)

It seems to me that only a core was selected:
    Project.SetDevice ("Cortex-M7");

Is this assumption correct? Could you please give a try and specify ATSAMS70J21 as the target device?`

On another note:
    Does the IDE you are using generate a output which contains debug symbols, like a .elf or .out file?
    While specifying a .hex is enough for Ozone to allow disassembly debugging, an .elf or .out file allows source line breakpoints, stepping, etc.

Best regards,
    Niklas

• Hi,

thanks for the feedback and good to hear that you are up and running!

Best regards,
    Niklas