[SOLVED] Upgraded to Ubuntu 17.04, JLink 6.16b: now JLink Commnder connections fail

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• [SOLVED] Upgraded to Ubuntu 17.04, JLink 6.16b: now JLink Commnder connections fail

Hi there,

I have been using J-Link equipped Nordic nRF52 development boards for about two years. I've had no trouble until now. I upgraded to Ubuntu 17.04, and JLink 6.16b, and now I've lost the ability to communicate with my devices. Please have a look at the following terminal log:

> john@john-Z97X-UD3H-BK:~$ JLinkExe -device nRF52
    > SEGGER J-Link Commander V6.16b (Compiled Jun 9 2017 18:05:08)
    > DLL version V6.16b, compiled Jun 9 2017 18:04:56
    >
    > Connecting to J-Link via USB...FAILED: Cannot connect to J-Link via USB.
    > J-Link > exit

I'm confident that my dev boards are good. I have a few of them. They all register a JLink mass storage device when they are connected to USB. We have a Windows laptop which can flash them just fine.

Someone on the Nordic web site suggested that I might have "the udev problem." I have seen many references to problems related to udev here on the Segger forums. But not too much of that advice is recent, and none of it is very general. So I'm not sure whether it applies to me.

Any advice you might have would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
  • Hi,

there are two potential reasons for this issue:
    a) The udev rules are not executed correctly. Please update to 6.16f to fix this issue.
    b) Does Ubuntu 17.04 ship with libudev0? In this case, please follow the instructions in this wiki article: wiki.segger.com/Could_not_open_J-Link_shared_library#Linux

Does this work for you?

Best regards,
    Niklas
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.
  • Thank you Niklas, upgrading to V6.16f worked for me.

I actually noticed the problem three weeks ago. I asked at Nordic, they eventually directed me here. I couldn't ask my questions until Segger approved my forum privileges. Meanwhile, you've already issued a bug fix. I will report back to Nordic.
  • Hi,

good to hear that you are up and running again!

Best regards,
    Niklas
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.