[SOLVED] Target Power commands only work through web interface

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• [SOLVED] Target Power commands only work through web interface

Hello forum!

I'm having a little bit of trouble with powering my target from my J-Trace Pro (for cortex). I've got the probe connected to my board with a 20-pin mictor connector. And, when I type "power on" (or "off", or "on perm", or "off perm") in to J-Link commander, the debug probe does not do anything meaningful with the target power. If the target is being powered by the probe, no command in j-link commander turns the power off; if the target is not being powered by the probe, no command turns it on.

Now, if I fire up the web interface to the j-trace, go to the emulator status page, and toggle the power there, the debug probe successfully changes the target power state.

Is there any way I can get the debugger to change state aside from the web interface?

Thanks!

The post was edited 1 time, last by PGVoorhees ().

• Hi,

J-Trace PRO v1 does not support the target supply power feature.
    With the current firmware, it is possible to enable the target power supply via the web interface.
    This in an error and will be fixed in the next firmware.
    Reason:
    Normal USB 2.0 ports are limited to 500mA power draw.
    J-Trace PRO v1 requires more power than the J-Link EDU/BASE/PLUS and the J-Link ULTRA/PRO model families, since it features more demanding hardware in order to enable its high-speed trace features.
    We strongly recommend not to use the target supply power feature with J-Trace PRO v1, as it will lead to either shutdown of the J-Trace during high-demand or to over current on the USB-Port.

While there is no release schedule for the next hardware version of the J-Trace PRO, it will most likely feature USB 3.0, which enables high speed tracing via USB and enough current for both supplying the J-Trace and the target supply power feature.

Best regards,
    Niklas
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.