Problem debugging STM32F303CC with J-link/SWD Interface

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Problem debugging STM32F303CC with J-link/SWD Interface

I am very new to this type of work. In the hope of adding an I2C display to my remote control drone, I've been diving into the software that runs it and more recently, J-Link EDU. I was hoping to step through code in the area that tries to interface with the I2C display.

I have recompiled the C code and flashed it on the usual USB interface provided by the drone.

The guts of the drone, a board running a STM32F303CC processor, has pads labelled SWDIO, SWCLK, NRST, GND, and 3.3. This is in addition to boot pins that can be shorted to force the bootloader into a state to receive new code if the usual usb interface is not able to connect.

Through various guides, I'm pretty sure I've connected my J-Link EDU properly to the pads. I first added 100k pull up resistors to SWDIO, SWCLK. I latter changed this to 4.7k. I verified that the pads do in fact connect to the microprocessor at the correct spots. I've even tested the NRST pin by grounding it and seeing that it does in fact reset the CPU.

When I use the J-link commander to connect to the board, I am not able to get any sign of connection.

Wires connected to these pads connect to the J-link edu cable. I'm suspecting that the j link box is broken. I've ordered a stm 32 discovery board to test. I've noticed that I can consistently reset the processor by grounding the NRST pin. When this is connected to the J-link, there is never a reset actually performed. I'm wondering if the J-link is even strobing the reset pin as I understand that it has a bunch of different strategies based off this action to allow it to connect to the SWD interface.

I'm tempted to buy an oscilliscope to test if there is a reset strobe on the j link pin, pin 15

How long would the j-link hold this pin low to force a reset, can i test this with a multimeter or do i need an oscilliscope. In any case, the connected processor does not reset by j link as evidenced by its usual beeps.

Could there be any kind of code protection bits that prevent a jlink connection? Saw something about this somewhere.

The drone software is open source, i don't know about the bootloader.

Does the boot loader even get run if the j link resets and connects to swm like it should? I would think it breaks right in the bootloader.

My hope is to set a break point in my c code and step over the bootloader to the i2c area. Do I even need a bootloader? Can I use j link (or j flash) to place the C code in the drone where the bootloader is now and step through it?

Once this works, hopefully, is it reasonable to assume that I should be able to break on lines that talk to the i2c display and, if working, step line by line and watch text and pixels be placed on the display? is there any kind of a timing thing starting and stopping the cpu, but not the display?

Thanks,
    Jeff
  • Hi Jeff,

When I use the J-link commander to connect to the board, I am not able to get any sign of connection.

Which commands did you execute in J-Link Commander?
    Could you provide us with a screenshot of your session?

Best regards,
    Niklas
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.
  • Hi Nick,
    I will have to reset up my project to get you the exact screen shots. Some commands I've tried are the following

r
    rx
    swdselect

I have been mostly trying to work with the connect command as this go throws through a whole series of questions prior to an attempt. This asks for the device, target interface, and speed.

Here is what the screen looks like prior to the connection of Pin 19

SEGGER J-Link Commander V6.16e (Compiled Jun 27 2017 18:47:39)
    DLL version V6.16e, compiled Jun 27 2017 18:47:05

Connecting to J-Link via USB...O.K.
    Firmware: J-Link V10 compiled Jun 16 2017 16:15:19
    Hardware version: V10.10
    S/N: 260104011
    License(s): FlashBP, GDB
    OEM: SEGGER-EDU
    VTref = 0.000V

When I connect pin 19, VTref = something like 4.9 volts. I will have to setup teh wires again again to get the exact value.

One interesting aspect I'm now thinking about after speaking with someone earlier is the following...

This person stated that VTRef, SWDIO, SWCLK, and RESET are the only pins that need to be connected. This person said that if I also connected pin 19, I could damage my board. My board was powered by the usb. Here is what I noticed...

When I connected pin 1, vtref to the 3.3 volts of my board, pin 7 (SWDIO) , pin 9, (SWCLK), and pin 15 (reset), the main screen would show as above...
    VTref = 0.000V

It was only after I supplied 5 volts on pin 19, would VTref go to approx 4.9 volts and the connect command attempt to make the unsuccessful attempts.

Is this significant? Does having VTref show as 0.000V, while the circuit is powered of course, and pin 19 left unconnected, cause the debugger to simply not do anything meaningful?

Thanks, Jeff

SEGGER - Niklas wrote:

Hi Jeff,

Which commands did you execute in J-Link Commander?
    Could you provide us with a screenshot of your session?

Best regards,
    Niklas
  • Hi Jeff,

There are 2 possible reasons for
    VTref = 0.000V

a) The target MCU is not powered at all.
    b) The target MCU is powered, but VTREF is not connected.
    (one or both of the following connections (<----->) is/are not present: Target MCU <-----> Debug Header <-----> J-Link)

In both cases, communication to the target is impossible.
    The target needs to be powered and J-Link needs to know which voltage should be used to communicate with the target.

It was only after I supplied 5 volts on pin 19, would VTref go to approx 4.9 volts

1. Please check the target board schematics or documentation in order to find out what is connected to pin 19 of the debug header.
    2. If I read the Datasheet correctly, STM32F303xC devices are specified for 2.0V - 3.6V, therefore 4.9V VTREF reading suggests that either pin 1 of J-Link is connected to the wrong pin or the target MCU is powered with a too high voltage.

Best regards,
    Niklas

Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

• Now able to connect to CPU

Nick,
    I connected after noticing that the pdf at segger.com/downloads/application-notes/AN00021 is incorrect. I noticed that the connector shown on page 12, J-Link Pinout for SWD, is reversed in the left column. Specifically, whats shown as pin 19 is really pin 1, pin 15 is really pin 5, etc. The right column appears correct, ie, pin 4 is really ground. In any case, I now connect to my processor and now see the following....

Device>
    Please specify target interface:
    J) JTAG (Default)
    S) SWD
    TIF>S
    Specify target interface speed [kHz]. : 4000 kHz
    Speed>
    Device "STM32F303CC" selected.

Connecting to target via SWD
    Found SW-DP with ID 0x2BA01477
    Found SW-DP with ID 0x2BA01477
    Scanning APs, stopping at first AHB-AP found.
    AP[0] IDR: 0x24770011 (AHB-AP)
    AHB-AP ROM: 0xE00FF000 (Base addr. of first ROM table)
    CPUID reg: 0x410FC241. Implementer code: 0x41 (ARM)
    Found Cortex-M4 r0p1, Little endian.
    FPUnit: 6 code (BP) slots and 2 literal slots
    CoreSight components:
    ROMTbl[0] @ E00FF000
    ROMTbl[0][0]: E000E000, CID: B105E00D, PID: 000BB00C SCS
    ROMTbl[0][1]: E0001000, CID: B105E00D, PID: 003BB002 DWT
    ROMTbl[0][2]: E0002000, CID: B105E00D, PID: 002BB003 FPB
    ROMTbl[0][3]: E0000000, CID: B105E00D, PID: 003BB001 ITM
    ROMTbl[0][4]: E0040000, CID: B105900D, PID: 000BB9A1 TPIU
    ROMTbl[0][5]: E0041000, CID: B105900D, PID: 000BB925 ETM
    Setting AIRCR.SYSRESETREQ
    Cortex-M4 identified.
    J-Link>

After seeing the above, is it safe to assume that there are no code protection bits preventing me from using the debugger as planned, reviewing the i2c display code and hopefully trying to spot the problem?

I was wondering if I can, assuming the i2c code is correct/corrected, step line by line and watch text be updated on the display? is there any kind of a timing thing/clock that could show characters being written on the display when running full steam but not while being incrementally debugged?

Thanks,
    Jeff
  • Hi Jeff,

I connected after noticing that the pdf at segger.com/downloads/application-notes/AN00021 is incorrect. I noticed that the connector shown on page 12, J-Link Pinout for SWD, is reversed in the left column. Specifically, whats shown as pin 19 is really pin 1, pin 15 is really pin 5, etc.

The image shown on the mentioned page describes the 20 pin pinout on the J-Link side.
    The pinout in the linked document is definitely correct and used by us and our customers.
    For easier reference, the pinout is also available on the website: segger.com/products/debug-prob…e-description/#tab-4031-2

The connections looks good now.
    In order to read memory, the mem command can be used, e.g.

mem 0x0 100
    mem32 0x0 100

I was wondering if I can, assuming the i2c code is correct/corrected, step line by line and watch text be updated on the display?

Which IDE / Debugger do you want to use?

would you like to give Ozone - The J-Link Debugger a try?
    Ozone is part of the software available for J-Link, which can be downloaded free of charge here .
    Ozone can be used for evaluation purposes free of charge with any J-Link. J-Link Plus or higher ship with a burned-in unlimited license for Ozone.
    • Start Ozone
    • In the startup-dialog, select Create New Project
    • Click on the Button "..." to the right of the Device Box and select your target device (Selecting only the core will only work when debugging in RAM)
    • Click Next
    • Choose the correct target interface (JTAG/SWD/etc..)
    • Use a valid speed (Default: 4000kHz, try 100-500 if default does not work)
    • Click Next
    • Click on the Button "..." in order to select a Data file (the .elf file / .out file/ etc build by the IDE)
    • Click Finish
    • Press F5 or click the green on/off button in the left upper corner
    • The debug session should be ready to use

Best regards,
    Niklas

• Nick,

SEGGER - Niklas wrote:

The image shown on the mentioned page describes the 20 pin pinout on the J-Link side.
    The pinout in the linked document is definitely correct and used by us and our customers.
    For easier reference, the pinout is also available on the website: segger.com/products/debug-pr…ion/#tab-4031-2
    I am a customer too and it does not appear to be correct. I looked at link above and it looks to be the same diagram as in the pdf that I originally used. Perhaps the unit I have is faulty/the internal connections are miswired? Perhaps they switched something in the newest edu version?

I attached a picture of the j link cable i am using on the drone side. Note the notch on the left side of the connector. Also note, there is nothing connected to the upper most left pin of this connector. I assume this is pin 1, vtref. I tested that the upper left most pin, with regard to the notch being on the left when looking down on the connector, is connected and not reverses in the cable. It connects to the same pin on the other side.

In any case, the other side of the connector in this picture plugs into the j link edu and it works. I tested the go/halt instruction with the TestHaltGo command.

I will look into using the mem commands you described.

I am using eclipse as it was on the page that originally pointed me to the j link edu debugger.

I might try ozone after I get the eclipse plugin to work. Though this is fun so far, especially now after the j link edu appears to work, I've spend a lot of time installing things and reading up on serial debug stuff than i originally thought.

Thanks for the help,
    Jeff
    Images
    • Bad Connector.jpg

392.83 kB, 2,322×4,128, viewed 6,348 times
  • Hi Jeff,

Sorry for the confusion, there seems to be a misconception:
    With the phrase "20 pin pinout on the J-Link side" I am referring to the male connector on the J-Link unit.

The pinout on the female cable is not the same!
    Imagine connecting it to an eval board like this one:
    wiki.segger.com/images/a/a2/STM324x9I.jpg
    (The 20 pin connector is located on the right edge below the Ethernet port)

In order to connect Pin 1 of the J-Link to Pin 1 of the board, the cable is facing downwards. (While the cable is plugged in, you cannot see the ports of the cable)
    Therefore, the "polarity protection nibble's" position is reversed on the cable.

Hint: - on the male connector on J-Link and eval boards, VTref is located in the top right corner (if the polarity protection slot is on the left side)
    On the cable, the VTref side is marked blue on the ribbon cable.

Best regards,
    Niklas

• Hi Nick,
    I just have a couple of observations/questions.
    I have the debugger working in eclipse and am able to set breakpoints and look at variables in routines the processor is executing. This first part might be outside SEGGAR support. Sometimes, the eclipse debugger reports an error in displaying a variable and that it is optimized out/something like that. It does this even when I compile my code with "DEBUG=GDB" in the makefile. Also, I am able to set flash breakpoints and sometimes look at variables when I compile the code without setting "DEBUG=GDB" in the makefile. The J link debugger references the elf file and the hex file is flashed to the chip. Does the j link debugger need anything special in terms of compiler flags to work properly? I suppose switching off all optimizations would be best so no confusion in eclipse. Does the eclipse debugger need symbol info in the bin file, the kind of stuff that tents to bloat the bin and make it overflow the text segment (another problem sometimes)?

My STM32F303CC chip is connected to a UART and an I2C based gyro. When I initially got this setup to work, I had problems connecting a google chrome app to the chip to interact with a gui interface to program settings. It then started working! This is a non issue and probably something that I was doing wrong. I was then wondering, Why did it start working. I mean, the chrome app connects to a usb port on the flight controller, not the chip. I was surprised that it actually worked when it did. I read something about the seggar j link device making a virtual serial port that might be copying info and presenting it to the chrome app. So, in a nutshell, i run my chip at full speed, all breakpoints unset except for a break point in some code that talks back to the serial port and returns a status. I can then go to my chrome app, connect to the chip, click a button and hit the set break point in eclipse. What is seggar j link doing to make this happen, if anything, that lesser powered debuggers might not? I realize that the J link edu is a great deal to learn about hardware debuggers, had i bought a j link mini, would this still have worked? I think i just got lucky in having this work as expected, while forgetting there is a uart that is connected to a web app also.

Also, I looked into using RTT client and RTT viewer. If I were to code a loop to display 30k "Hello World from SEGGER RTT!" strings and look at it using RTT client, will something break if the messages are dumped too fast?

I used the command ..... SEGGER_RTT_WriteString(0, "Hello World from SEGGER RTT!\r\n") in my flight controller code.

I placed this in a section which should have streamed a zillion messages a second from the flight controller and only saw a handful in the RTT client app with no error message after the few that displayed. Its like when it was run full steam, something lost communication with RTT client/the message stream? I can do some more testing.

The main goal of all this is that I wanted to see what is happening on the I2C2 bus. I have a display connected to that.

I note that I can communicate without error on the I2C1 bus/step through code/talk to the gyro using j link, so that is good. When I do this on I2C2, I can see where the errors are generated "bus not RESET". It appears that J link is a great tool to look at this bus communication and step though the code. I have no clue whats happening on the I2C2 SCL and SDA lines, so I might have to learn how to use an Oscilloscope.

Do you suppose it reasonable to assume that if I get an Oscilliscope, set a trigger on the SCL line or SDA line, I can see a pulse the moment I step over a line that properly speaks to the I2C2 bus? I would think the debugger would stop the clock if it was set and if i single stepped, it would start it and stop it momentarily and I can see something on the scope?

Thanks for all your help,
    Jeff M