J-Link plus LED off

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• J-Link plus LED off

Hello,

Today I experienced the same problem described by Giannis_K (see [SOLVED] j link plus led off ) with my company's J-Link Plus.

J-Link worked like a charm for weeks of intense debugging until this morning when I plugged it to my PC and the LED did not light up.
    I tried with another cable and another PC without any success, the LED never turned on.

I am clearly wrong in thinking there is a kill-switch that bricks our J-Link at some point after its warranty runs out, however I will never know, being you the only ones able to inspect J-Link firmware source code.

We have a saying in my country -- "You sin in thinking bad about people, but, often, you guess right."

Indeed this is the second time we had this problem, the first was with another J-Link we owned, at the time we replaced it with your Trade-In program without questioning. We always use extreme care while handling any of your products, being them quite expensive, however after a while they stop working without any apparent reason. I would really like to know why this J-Link stopped working. Have you ever analyzed any J-Link returned to you affected by this kind of failure? What was the problem? Is there any way in which we can inspect our J-Link together, eye-to-eye?

Thank you.

Edoardo
  • Hello Edoardo,

Sorry to hear that you are having problems with your J-Link.

I am clearly wrong in thinking there is a kill-switch that bricks our J-Link at some point after its warranty runs out, however I will never know, being you the only ones able to inspect J-Link firmware source code.
    We have a saying in my country -- "You sin in thinking bad about people, but, often, you guess right."

Wow, that's somewhat disappointing...First time I hear something like this in my now 10 years at SEGGER.

Be assured that there is absolutely *nothing* like a kill switch or something else to limit the lifetime of a J-Link.
    We have lots of happy customers which are still using their 7 years old (or even older) J-Links for some old projects from time to time.
    Of course, these "ancient" J-Links are not up to par with the latest models but they were the perfect match when starting these projects a long time ago and they still do their work perfectly for these projects.

In general, we are continuously improving the J-Link harwdare, also making it as robust as possible.
    The error (RMA) rate of J-Link is way below 1%, of course nobody is perfect and sometimes even for the most robust product, single units may fail.
    We give a 1 year warranty on J-Links, so if something happens to the J-Link in this time, it is usually replaced without additional charging etc. and uncomplicated.
    After the 1 year, we offer a trade-in which gives you the possibility to get a new unit at up to 50% discount, which is pretty fair, we think:
    segger.com/purchase/trade-in-program/
    Note that the old unit that is traded-in does not even have to be functional. It can also be one of the 7 year old ones mentioned before. All of this is no problem.

All units which are sent in under RMA are investigated at SEGGER.
    In case you have sent back a J-Link under RMA, you usually get a failure analysis report from SEGGER, along with the new unit.
    If not, please get in touch with SEGGER, mentioning your company name and RMA number.

For your specific case now: Did you already got in touch with SEGGER?
    Even if your J-Link is not under warranty anymore, we can probably (this is not a promise!) exception here and investigate what went wrong with your J-Link.
    Please understand that we cannot analyze all units that are send in as part of the trade-in program and may be up to 10 years old, as this is not economic in any way, for any side.

Best regards
    Alex Gruener - Product Manager J-Link
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.