[SOLVED] J-Trace Pro device support in J-Link mode

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• [SOLVED] J-Trace Pro device support in J-Link mode

I am eying the J-Trace Pro probe for my (mostly hobby) embedded coding work. One thing that is not totally clear to me is device support in J-Link mode.

Your compatibility chart (segger.com/jlink-model-overview.html) shows ARM7 and ARM9 as unsupported on J-Trace, yet user manual states:
    J-Trace for Cortex-M can also be used as a J-Link and it also supports ARM7/9 cores. Tracing on ARM7/9 targets is not supported.
    So, ARM7/9 are supported after all, just not in J-Trace mode...
    How about other J-Tag capable devices? Can I connect to them too in J-Link mode? My particular interest is with ESP32 that I plan to utilize excessively in my projects along with ARM cores.
  • Hi,

J-Trace for Cortex-M can also be used as a J-Link and it also supports ARM7/9 cores. Tracing on ARM7/9 targets is not supported.

we are currently reworking the complete manual, it is outdated in this regard.
    Old versions of the J-Trace Cortex-M (which only supported tracing on Cortex-M3/M4) supported debugging of ARM7/9.

As stated in the model overview, on the model page and in the shop, current versions of the J-Trace Cortex-M (PRO) officially do not support ARM7/9/11 and Cortex-A/R at all.

How about other J-Tag capable devices? Can I connect to them too in J-Link mode? My particular interest is with ESP32 that I plan to utilize excessively in my projects along with ARM cores.

Supported cores and devices are listed here: segger.com/jlink_supported_devices.html (Applies for J-Link, J-Trace Cortex-M (PRO) only supports Cortex-M0/M0+/M1/M3/M4/M7 (PRO: Cortex-M0/M0+/M1/M3/M4/M7/M23/M33)).

At least the core needs to be supported in order to use any high-level functions with J-Link (like reading memory).

However, if the device's core is not listed as supported but is JTAG compliant, you can still use J-Link to communicate with the target device via "raw" JTAG transmissions.

This could either be done with
    A) J-Link Commander + command files or manual input or
    B) Your custom application and the J-Link SDK (Part No 8.08.06 on the price list)

Best regards,
    Niklas
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.