[SOLVED] J-Link not detected on macOS Sierra 10.12.4

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• [SOLVED] J-Link not detected on macOS Sierra 10.12.4

Hello,

I have recently switched from Linux machine to Macbook Pro 2016 running macOS Sierra 10.12.4. I'm totally unable to work with J-Link. I use latest J-Link firmware (V6.14c software and latest J-Link firmware (J-Link V9 version compiled Mar 10 2017 19:41:40) and latest macOS drivers (V6.14d).

Main reason, I believe, is the fact that macOS doesn't detect J-Link connected via USB. Below is a system log (ioreg) listing connected USB devices:

Source Code

1. kuba@chimera:~$ ioreg -p IOUSB
    2. +-o Root <class IORegistryEntry, id 0x100000100, retain 15>
    3. +-o Root Hub Simulation Simulation@14000000 <class AppleUSBRootHubDevice, id 0x1000004fb, registered, matched, active, busy 0 (0 ms), retain 12>
    4. +-o iBridge@14100000 <class AppleUSBDevice, id 0x1000004fd, registered, matched, active, busy 0 (325 ms), retain 35>

Here is output from JLinkExe:

Source Code

1. kuba@chimera:~$ JLinkExe
    2. SEGGER J-Link Commander V6.14c (Compiled Mar 31 2017 17:42:24)
    3. DLL version V6.14c, compiled Mar 31 2017 17:42:10
    4. Connecting to J-Link via USB...FAILED: Can not connect to J-Link via USB.
    5. J-Link>

Macbook Pro 2016 has only USB-C ports, so I had to use some adapter.

I have tried 3 different adapters (including official Apple), 2 different J-Links (normal and EDU version) and two different Macbooks (Macbook Pro 2016 and Macbook 12) with USB-C ports. Every time with no luck. Of course, it works just fine on Linux.

Any help?

The post was edited 1 time, last by K.Sejdak ().

• Hi,

we are not aware of any issues regarding J-Link and macOS.
    Our team uses several MBPs during development. Some of us use the 2016 model.

Output on a MBP 2016 looks like as follows:

C Source Code

1. X-MacBook-Pro:~ X$ ioreg -p IOUSB
    2. +-o Root <class IORegistryEntry, id 0x100000100, retain 15>
    3. +-o Root Hub Simulation Simulation@14000000 <class AppleUSBRootHubDevice, id 0x1000003bd, registered, matched, active, busy 0 (17 ms), retain 10>
    4. +-o iBridge@14200000 <class AppleUSBDevice, id 0x100001050, registered, matched, active, busy 0 (11 ms), retain 31>
    5. +-o J-Link@14400000 <class AppleUSBDevice, id 0x1000010aa, registered, matched, active, busy 0 (4 ms), retain 17>
    6. X-MacBook-Pro:~ X$

Could you please acknowledge / test the following points?:
    -> Other USB devices work fine with the MB(P) when using the USB-C adapter.
    -> There is no VMWare or other VM software running on the Mac which "steals" the J-Link from the host.

Best regards,
    Niklas
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.
  • Other USB devices (e.g. pendrives) work just fine. And there is no any kind of VM - this is almost brand new laptop without external software.

Like I said, this problem occurs also on other Macbook 12, that I have access to. And I tried 3 different USB-C adapters. So this is not a hardware issue.

Are you sure, that tests on your side where performed on latest macOS? Maybe some additional USB drivers where installed?
  • Hi,

yes, I used the latest macOS available (10.12.4).
    J-Link does not need any additional driver on macOS / Linux.

Best regards,
    Niklas

Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

• I managed to solve it. The main problem was with the only part that I didn't check - the USB cable itself. It is showed in attached image.

It turned out, that USB plug (gray one) was a bit too shallow. I checked with another one (black one) and it worked just fine.

Thanks for the assistance and please mark this thread as solved.
    Kuba
    Images
    • 20170424_182750.jpg

779.71 kB, 1,701×957, viewed 474 times

The post was edited 1 time, last by K.Sejdak ().

• Hi,

thanks for the update and good to hear that you are up and running again!
    Thanks for the assistance and please mark this thread as solved.

Done.

Best regards,
    Niklas