[SOLVED] J-Link driver issue

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• [SOLVED] J-Link driver issue

My J-Link Base worked yesterday, but today in device manager I see J-link with exclamation mark. Device blinks green led shortly.
    I can't install driver for this device, I have checked 3 different driver versions. On another computer works.

It can be linked with my other J-links. I have 6 Silicon Labs BRD4001A demo boards with build in J-link programmers.
    On fresh win7 installation all boards works correctly. Today - about 2 months after win7 installation 2 boards works only!

On 4 boards in device manager I see J-link Pro OB with exclamation mark. All boards have the same firmware, all devices works on another computer.
    I can not install driver, I have checked driver from Silabs and original from Segger site. I got message Windows can't find driver for this device.

I don't use any other software with USB driver, I have installed IAR, Silabs Simplicity Studio and Segger J-Link only.

Is it possible to debug this driver issue ?

Win7, i5 4460, Asus B85M-G
  • Hello,

thank you for your inquiry.
    The J-Links you are using seem to be working generally so this sounds more like a setup problem.
    Could you please list in which setup what is working and in what not? As it is no really clear from your initial post

Best regards
    Nino
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.
  • Hello Nino,
    Oce again:

I have two computers: A and B with the same hardware(i5 4460, Asus B85M-G) and software(Win7, IAR, Simplicity Studio, Segger J-Link).
    I have J-Link Base and 6 Silicon Labs BRD4001A demo boards with build in J-link debug probe.

On computer B all 7x J-Links works correctly.
    On computer A today I have only one working J-link debug probe.

On computer A fresh win7 installation all 7x J-Links worked correctly. At irregular intervals next J-Link had a problem with driver.
    Today I have ony one working J-link interface on computer A.

6x J-links debug probe have problem with driver. In device manager in Another devices branch I see J-Link(for J-Link base - green led blinking) or J-link Pro OB(for Silabs BRD4001A) with exclamation mark.
    I can not install driver, I have checked driver from Silabs and original from Segger site. I allways got message: Windows can't find driver for this device.

The only difference between computer A and B is the computer A I hibernate sometimes with attached J-link debug probe, perhaps this is a clue.

How to clean all J-Link drivers and others traces ?
    Is it possible to debug this driver issue ?

Best regards

Tomasz
  • Hi Tomasz,

can you please check if a file called usb.inf does exit in your %systemroot%\inf folder?
    If it does not, could you please follow the following steps?:

It seems that the usb.inf is missing in your %systemroot%\inf folder.

In order to fix this:
    • Please copy the usb.inf from the following location: %systemroot%\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\usb.inf_*
      [eg. C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\usb.inf_amd64_neutral_42d7284868af1f40]
      to %systemroot%\inf
    • Disconnect the J-Link and re-connect it once again.
    • After that Windows should recognize the J-Link as a USB composite device and will install all the drivers for the J-Link interfaces.
    Please note: This seems to be a generic problem of Windows. Neither SEGGER nor other companies which are using SEGGER J-Link technology are responsible for this error or causing this error. This error also occurs on Windows PCs where no J-Link has ever been connected to it nor its driver has been installed on it.

Best regards,
    Niklas

Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

• Hi Tomasz,

good to hear that you are up and running again!

Best regards,
    Niklas