[SOLVED] Global variables are missing in J-Scope

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• [SOLVED] Global variables are missing in J-Scope

Hello,

I've noticed that most of my global variables are missing in J-scope symbol selector. All my local variables in their corresponding C-file are showing however.

I'm using VisualGDB with arm-eabi gcc compiler for a stm32f4 microcontroller.

I've made sure that the optimization is completely off, i.e CFLAGS and CXXFLAGS set to -O0 in makefile settings.

Don't know what else to check. Any help would be appreciated!
  • Hi,

which version of J-Scope do you use?
    Would it be possible to provide us with the .elf file so that we can reproduce the issue?

Best regards,
    Niklas
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.
  • Hi, thanks for the fast response!

I'm using version 5.10d. Attaching the .elf file for a simple example project that shows the problem. mems_visualGDB.zip

What i discovered was that j-scope seems to be unable to see a global variable that is declared in main.h with the extern keyword, then this variable is defined in main.c as follows:

In main.h
    extern uint32_t global_cnt;

in main.c
    uint32_t global_cnt;

when opening j-scope the variable global_cnt simply does not show up. But maybe this is how it suppose to be?

Regards
    Mikael
  • Hi Mikael,

thanks for the .elf file.

The way, VisualGDB stores declarations of variables which are defined elsewhere, confused J-Scope's .elf file parser.

We have released a new beta version, where this bug should be fixed:
    segger.com/downloads/jlink_beta

Could you please download it and give it a try?

Regards
    Arne

Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

• Hi Mikael,

thanks for the feedback.
    Good to hear that you are up and running!

Best regards,
    Niklas