[SOLVED/OR] J-Link Commander in production revisited

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• [SOLVED/OR] J-Link Commander in production revisited

I am debating the use of J-Link Commander versus J-Flash in a production environment. I realize that Segger provides comments that J-Link Commander is not recommended for Production.

With J-Link Base, I am able to flash and test my product. Everything seems to work fine. What exactly are my risks or concerns with this setup?

I understand that J-Flash has the benefit of controlling some of your standalone flash products. This does not apply to my environment. I am using J-Link Base.

There are comments to the affect that J-Flash and/or the SDK provides more customization. My environment is working and I do not require, apparently, the extra customization capabilities. I should mention that I intend to have multiple J-Link Base programmers connected to a single PC, and will be programming in parallel with the use of the J-Link Commander "-SelectEmuBySN" feature. This item I have not tested out on multiple units, yet..

J-Flash is optimized for speed in some manner different than J-Link Commander, but my programming speeds are very reasonable at this time.

There is a "double CRC check" feature in J-Flash, explained as "double CRC check to make sure that cases where the data in the flash itself is also protected via a CRC, does not cause any trouble.", which stands out a real difference between the program sequencing. My device does not utilize CRC on the entire image, so this feature is not useful.

In summary, J-Link Commander seems to be a fine solution for me, but the many references to "not recommended for production" continues to bug me. Again, can you detail any risks or concerns with my use of J-Link Commander for my described environment that I should be aware of? Thanks.

Three related threads I found useful:

[ANSWERED]J-Link flash download available for free or not?

[ANSWERED]Parallel flashing with J-Link Commander
    forum.segger.com/index.php?form=PostAdd&threadID=2816
  • Hi Forum,

this question was answered via Mail.
    We will create a webpage about J-Flash vs. J-Link Commander in production in the near future .

Until then, a short overview:

We strongly advice to not use J-Link Commander but J-Flash for production purposes.
    As an alternative, the J-Link SDK (Part No 8.08.06 on the price list) can be used.
    The J-Link SDK ships with the source code of J-Link Commander.

J-Flash
    • Allows a (much) higher level of customization
    • Is designed for production purposes
    • Is optimized for production grade flash programming (double verification etc.)
    • J-Flash projects can be used for standalone flash programming with SEGGER Flasher products
    • Backwards compatible with old J-Flash projects

J-Link Commander
    • Is designed for development purposes
    • The flash programming logic by default is configured for debugging which is highly optimized for speed flash programming and not for production grade flash programming
    • No production-grade error handling possible
    • New versions may be incompatible with old script files / commands (We keep this to an absolute minimum, but we brake backwards compatibility if it improves J-Link Commander's usabilty as a development tool)
    • Feature requests / issues related to production programming with J-Link Commander have a very low / low priority on our ToDo
    Best regards,
    Niklas
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.