Problem connecting to STM32L011D4 chip

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Problem connecting to STM32L011D4 chip

Hello,
    We have a custom circuit board that uses the STM32L011D4 chip and are trying to use the 10-pin SWD connector with a Jlink Ultra+ probe. We have an interconnect board that works with STM32F4 processors.

When we connect to the STM32L011 chip, the chip is driving the SWD clock pin (PA14) as an output after reset. We have a pull down resistor on the pin, but the CPU is pulling the signal high. When we try to program the part, the CPU is pulling it high. I have one CPU that is working properly and 9 that are not. I have never programmed the CPUs that are failing.

I'm thinking that if I reset the chip back to defaults, it might fix the problem.

I tried using the jlinkstm32.exe utility, but there is no option for a STM32L0 chip, just an STM32L1. When I used the STM23L1 option, it said that it Reset the chip properly, but could not reset the option bytes. It also did not fix the issue.

Can the jlinkstm32 utility be enhanced to erase STM32L0 chips as well?

Is there a way to properly program STM32L0 chips that we're missing?

Thanks.Keith Rhodes
  • Hi Keith,

When we connect to the STM32L011 chip, the chip is driving the SWD clock pin (PA14) as an output after reset. We have a pull down resistor on the pin, but the CPU is pulling the signal high. When we try to program the part, the CPU is pulling it high. I have one CPU that is working properly and 9 that are not. I have never programmed the CPUs that are failing.
    Sounds strange. Virgin devices do not change the pin function of the debug interface signals PA13 and PA14 (see extract from the ST reference manual below). This indicates that there must be something running in the device which re-configures PA13 and PA14.

The ST device series supports connect under reset. Therefore, can you please give it a try using J-Link Commander (JLink.exe)? In case of ordinary connect fails, it performs the connect via reset. Please note that for this method, the reset pin must be connected to the J-Link. Another option is to hold the device manually (e.g. using a reset button) while J-Link is establishing a connection to the target. Once the connection has been established, you can perform a mass erase using the "erase" command in J-Link Commander.

Regarding STM32 utility support for STM32L0: This is already on our internal todo list but right now without a fixed time schedule as we have many other open projects and requests which needs to be finalized before we can move on.

Would you like to be added to the J-Link software update notification list,
    so you get informed automatically when the new version becomes available?
    Subscribe: segger.com/notification/subscribe.php?prodid=7,94

Best regards
    Erik
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.