[SOLVED] Cortex M7 compatible J-Link

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• [SOLVED] Cortex M7 compatible J-Link

Hello there,

in early 2014 I bought a J-Link EDU through your german distributor. Now I'm facing the problem that I wanted to connect it to a Cortex-M7 based design, which failed. Checking the documentation it turned out that my hardware version (8.0) is not compatible to these devices, checking this forum it was claimed a while ago that hardware v8.0 was superseeded in 2012 already. That leaves me with the question if >8.0 was ever adopted for the EDU versions? Checking back at the ak-modul-bus online shop they still only claim M4 compatible at max, but give no additional hint on the hw version.
    At least I can use openocd through the j-link device to connect and debug, but I had really preferred to do so natively.

Any hints would be welcome, thank you
    Michael
  • Hi Michael,

checking this forum it was claimed a while ago that hardware v8.0 was superseeded in 2012 already

The EDU model receives hardware upgrades later then the other models.
    The production timeline of the J-Link EDU looks as follows:

J-Link EDU 8.0: 01/2010 - 11/2013
    J-Link EDU 9.2: 01/2014 - 03/2014
    J-Link EDU 9.3: 03/2014 - 01/2016
    J-Link EDU 9.4: 03/2016 - 10/2016
    J-Link EDU 10.1: 10/2016 -

So it is likely that your distributor was still selling v8 units in early 2014, as production(!= shipping) of 9.2 EDUs did not start until January of 2014.
    The hardware version is printed on the box, therefore I would recommend to ask ak-modul-bus which hardware version they are currently selling.

Best regards,
    Niklas
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.
  • Hello Niklas,

thank you for the prompt answer.
    I could not find any information on what changes were introduced with any version > 9.2 in the documentation. Would it be worth it to wait for 10.1 for any particular reason, considering it's a major version change?

Best regards
    Michael
  • Hi Michael,

10.1 has high-speed USB (<= V9: Full Speed USB).

An (incomplete) overview about the different features of the hardware revisions can be found here : (Currently there are no differences listed between v9 and v10)
    wiki.segger.com/Software_and_Hardware_Features_Overview

I do not now at which point in time the J-Link EDU V10.1 will be available from distributors.

Best regards,
    Niklas
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.