[ABANDONED] J-Link EDU reads wrong VTref and cannot connect to target

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• [ABANDONED] J-Link EDU reads wrong VTref and cannot connect to target

Hi,

I am trying to connect my J-Link to a RedBearLab BLE Nano via SWD.
    I connected VTref, GND, SWDIO and SWCLK to the corresponding pins on the board, but, even though the board was powered and had 3.3V on VDD (which was connected to VTref), J-Link commander showed VTref = 0.000 V.
    I then tried powering the board via J-Link (pin 19 linked to Vin), and in this way VTref was around 5 V, which should be impossible since the board can only have 3.3 V on Vdd.
    In both cases I got "Can not connect to target" when trying to connect to the board.
    Can you please help me figure out why it doesn't work?
    Thank you.

[img]https://static1.squarespace.com/static/5039e08be4b00cf0e8cf88cd/t/541d40b1e4b06fd9d8333e0f/1411203249422/?format=500w[/img]
  • Hi,

I am 99.9% confident that there is *no* problem on the J-Link side.
    Did you make sure that GND is connected properly to the J-Link EDU?

Pretty sure it is a wiring problem. The VTref measurement of J-Link EDU is working fine.

Best regards
    Alex
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.
  • Yes, that's O.K.
    Can you please try the following?:
    Disconnect your target and everything else from the J-Link EDU.
    Connect GND and 3V from an external power supply to pins 1 & 4 of J-Link EDU.
    Start J-Link Commander
    Does it show 3V?

Try the same with 5V or 3.3V etc.
    Does J-Link Commander show the correct voltage?

If yes, it shows that the VTref measurement is O.K. and the problem is on the board circuit / wiring.

Best regards
    Alex
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.