What is Handle exactly ?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• What is Handle exactly ?

Hi,
    Word 'handle' is used at many places in document. Like Button Handle, Window handle.. What is handle exactly ?

For example, to set font for the button, i have to pass handle of the button as a first argument in
    BUTTON_SetFont(BUTTON_Handle hObj, const GUI_FONT * pFont);

what i'm passing here as first argument ? Is it address or Value or Structure or something else ?
    The API is not exposed to the user so thought to ask it here.
  • Hello Amit,

when creating a button with the function BUTTON_Create(), the function returns a handle of the button.

C Source Code

1. WM_HWIN hButton
    2. hButton = BUTTON_Create(0, 0, 80, 30, 0, WM_CF_SHOW);
    3. BUTTON_SetFont(hButton, pFont);

This handle can be used to set different properties of a button, just like you want to do.

Take a look into the sample attached. There I receive the handle of a button in two different ways.

Regards,
    Sven
    Files
    • ButtonHandle.zip

(964 Byte, downloaded 389 times, last: )
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.
  • Thank Sven for your reply.

My question was little different. What do you mean by 'handle' of a widget ?
    Is it some memory address or a number or anything else ?
    When i pass ButtonHandle to any Button related API, What am i exactly passing as a handle ? Is it a memory address or just a value or something else ?
  • Hi,

emWin uses his own memory management system, when we init emWin,
    GUI_ALLOC_AssignMemory() init it!

A Window or WIDGET handle may be a Memory buffer's handle or Index something (?..., no source) and
    A Window or WIDGET object pointer is Object structure pointer. We can use WM_H2P ( or GUI_ALLOC_h2p() )function convert it!

for example:
    BUTTON_Handle hWin;
    BUTTON_Obj * pObj;

hWin = BUTTON_Create(...);
    pObj = (BUTTON_Obj *)WM_H2P(hWin);

BUTTON_Obj is defined in BUTTON_Private.h

Best Regards,
    Chensie

The post was edited 2 times, last by chensie ().