[SOLVED] Cannot erase device

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• [SOLVED] Cannot erase device

Hello there,
    I am currently working on a STM32F4 based board. For some reason, I am not able to erase nor program the device. When using JLink.exe, I am getting a message:

Source Code

1. ****** Error: Failed to download RAMCode!
    2. ERROR: Erase returned with error code -1.

Here is the full JLink.exe output: pastebin.com/6S4KKFAZ

The Jlink probe seems to be connecting to the device correctly, but for some reason it is not fully operational. I would appreciate all healp really.
  • Hi,

STM32F4 based board.

Eval board or custom hardware?
    If possible, could you provide me a Link to a storepage or the board documentation?

Best regards,
    Niklas
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.
  • Hi,

In the provided schematics, the CPU is labeled "STM32F407VE", while in J-Link Commander, STM32F407VG is selected.
    According to the ST-Website, both MCUs are Cortex-M4 Devices, which unfortunately is not fully supported by J-Link V8

One more thing is that in the device table it says that my device has 128 KB of RAM, when in reality it has 512 KB. Could that be the case?

According to ST-Website linked above, the device has either 512 or 1024 KB of Flash, and 128+64+4 KB of RAM.

Best regards,
    Niklas

Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

• Hi,
    The schematics has a bad device name, it is VGT6 in reality (ill have to change the schematics, thanks). As for the RAM you are right, my bad. So Can I update to version 9 or 10?

EDIT: I see this is a hardware version... Do you think this is the case? Because on other boards the very same M4 device works.

The post was edited 1 time, last by bremenpl ().

• I updated my jlink software to 610 but that did not help as well. Maybe this could help debug the problem:

Source Code

1. Error in final launch sequence
    2. Failed to execute MI command:
    3. tbreak main
    4. Error message from debugger back end:
    5. Cannot access memory at address 0x80015e2
    6. Failed to execute MI command:
    7. tbreak main
    8. Error message from debugger back end:
    9. Cannot access memory at address 0x80015e2
    10. Cannot access memory at address 0x80015e2

I have erased the device using an ST-LINK device (he can do it). Now with an erased MCU on my board i tried to start loading and debbuging and that is the output of it.
  • Hi,

All I can say for now that J-Link V8 does not fully support Cortex-M4 (and it never claimed to do so).
    It may sometimes work, but this is more a "bonus" than a feature.
    I can give it a try in the next few days, but unless it is a generic bug in the J-Link software (which is unlikely, as STM32 devices are also used in house a lot, especially Cortex-M4), we cannot provide a solution for this issue.

Best regards,
    Niklas

• Hi,

Unfortunately , J-Link EDUs cannot be used with the SEGGER Trade-In Program, because they are already sold with high discount.

Best regards,
    Niklas

• Hi,

did you ask them which version they sell?
    Please don't be confused by the Product / Part Nummer (8.08.90), which is the same for J-Link EDU V8 and J-Link EDU V9 (J-Link EDU V10 does not exist yet)

Best regards,
    Niklas

• Hi,

I did notice that you that you own a J-Link V8. (It is shown e.g. in the J-Link Commander Output).
    My Question is: What makes you think that kamami.pl only sells J-Link V8?

Please note that I am not a sales person.
    If you have further questions, I would recommend to get in touch with sales@segger.com

Best regards,
    Niklas

• Hi,

And they said that " the one from the link" is still a J-Link V8?
    I do not see any information on their side whether it is an V8 or an V9.

Best regards,
    Niklas