[SOLVED] Support of NXP's i.MX7

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• [SOLVED] Support of NXP's i.MX7

Hello,

I am an embedded software engineer working at Alcineo. We are happy users of several J-Link products (J-Link and J-Link LITE).

We are working on a project based on NXP's i.MX7 (MCIMX7D). Our code targets the Cortex-M4 core within it.
    We would like to debug our code with our J-Link devices, since they integrate very well with the Eclipse IDE and GDB. However the i.MX7 does not seem to be supported yet. We are using the latest J-Link software release (version 6.0.7).

Could you tell us if the i.MX7 will be supported ? If yes, do you know when it is planned ?

Thanks and best regards,
    Pierre
  • Hi Pierre,

A new version of the J-Link software & documentation pack that comes with support for i.MX7 series devices is planned for release until the end of this month.

Would you like to be added to the J-Link software update notification list, so you get informed automatically when the new version becomes available?
    In case you want to subscribe to it yourself: segger.com/notification/subscribe.php?prodid=7,94

Best regards,
    Niklas
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.
  • Hi Niklas,

Thank you very much for your reply ! I have subscribed to the notification list, thank you for the link. I'm glad the hear the i.MX7 will be supported very soon :)
    I'm looking forward to using our J-Link devices with the i.MX7 !

Thanks and best regards,
    Pierre
  • Hi Marian,

Unfortunately, there has been some delay, and the responsible engineer is currently out of the office for a week.
    Currently scheduled date for release is in two weeks.

Best regards,
    Niklas

Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

• Hi Jens,

basic support for the i.MX7 is already available within the J-Link software.
    Connection to a core can be achieved by selecting the respective core architecture ("Cortex-A7" / "Cortex-M7") and passing a J-Link script file in order to specify JTAG-chain position and AHB to use.
    The i.MX6 SABRE script file can be used as a template:
    wiki.segger.com/I.MX6_SoloX_Support

C Source Code

1. /*********************************************************************
    2. * SEGGER MICROCONTROLLER GmbH & Co. K.G. *
    3. * Solutions for real time microcontroller applications *
    4. **********************************************************************
    5. * *
    6. * (c) 2011-2015 SEGGER Microcontroller GmbH & Co. KG *
    7. * *
    8. * Internet: www.segger.com Support: support@segger.com *
    9. * *
    10. **********************************************************************
    11. ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    12. Purpose :
    13. ---------------------------END-OF-HEADER------------------------------
    14. */
    15. /*********************************************************************
    16. *
    17. * ResetTarget
    18. */
    19. void ResetTarget(void) {
    20. // In case cores 1-3 are reset, we do nothing,
    21. // as we would lose connection to these cores, when resetting the device
    22. // as a reset disables the clock to them.
    23. }
    24. /*********************************************************************
    25. *
    26. * InitTarget
    27. */
    28. void InitTarget(void) {
    29. int WordAcc;
    30. int v;
    31. Report("******************************************************");
    32. Report("J-Link script: iMX6 SoloX Cortex-M4 core J-Link script");
    33. Report("******************************************************");
    34. JLINK_CORESIGHT_Configure("IRPre=0;DRPre=0;IRPost=13;DRPost=3;IRLenDevice=4");
    35. CPU = CORTEX_M4; // Pre-select that we have a Cortex-M4 connected
    36. JTAG_AllowTAPReset = 1; // J-Link is allowed to use a TAP reset for JTAG-chain auto-detection
    37. CORESIGHT_AddAP(0, CORESIGHT_AHB_AP);
    38. CORESIGHT_AddAP(1, CORESIGHT_APB_AP);
    39. CORESIGHT_IndexAHBAPToUse = 0;
    40. JTAG_SetDeviceId(0, 0x4BA00477); // 4-bits IRLen
    41. JTAG_SetDeviceId(1, 0x4BA00477); // 4-bits IRLen
    42. JTAG_SetDeviceId(2, 0x00000001); // 5-bits IRLen
    43. JTAG_SetDeviceId(3, 0x0891C01D); // 4-bits IRLen
    44. }
    Display All

Full support for the i.MX7 is already on our ToDo, but will not be released before the end of November, as it will include a rework on how the J-Link software handles multi-core targets.

Best regards,
    Niklas

• I have been following the forum thread on the using J-Link to to connect to the M4 in this dual chip package.
    As of yet I have been unsuccessful in using J-Link to connect to this MPU, (we are using the IMX7 Sabre board).

In this thread you indicated that there would be an update at the end of November to support this hardware.
    Its the end of November, can I get an update on this update?

Thanks
  • Update? X 2

We are also trying to use the J-Link with the iMX7 and did not find the reference to the iMX6 SoloX very helpful.

If there is an update in the work, we would like to have a date when it will be available so we can make a decision of what do.

Thanks
  • We have just created the wiki-article for the iMX7d.
    It includes the J-Link script files to connect to both A7 cores as well as the script which allows to connect to the M4 core.
    Further information regarding this can be found here: wiki.segger.com/IMX7D

Best regards
    Erik