[SOLVED] J-Link EDU V9.40 virtual com port

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• [SOLVED] J-Link EDU V9.40 virtual com port

Hello,
    I bought J-Link EDU V9.40. When I was reading user manual, I found out that it provide virtual com port (chapter 15.1.3 p.255 and chapter 5.15 p.423). When I wanted to enable it, J-Link commander (command: vcom enable) returned "The connected emulator does not support VCOM functionality.", but when I used J-Link Configuration, it enabled the vcom, and windows detect new device. Vcom was installed. When I sent test data through putty terminal (tx and rx pins connected to each other) I don't received any data. Is this option is available on my J-link device or it's broken?
  • Hi,

J-Link EDU V9+ supports Virtual com port.

When I wanted to enable it, J-Link commander (command: vcom enable) returned "The connected emulator does not support VCOM functionality."

This is strange. Could you please make sure that you have the latest version of the J-Link software & documentation packinstalled and try it again?
    If it fails, could you please open J-Link Commander, and make a screenshot of the output?

Best regards,
    Niklas
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.
  • Hello,
    I made some tests. When I start J-Link commander, I can once write command "vcom enable" and it works, com port is detected by Windows. Also it disables target power from pin 19. After that every "vcom" command don't work, and "power on" command also don't work. Below I presents two J-Link commander sessions with my comments. When I try to send a character by putty and measure (using osciloscope)
    J-Link tx pin (pin no. 5) I don't have any voltage on it. I have newest Segger software downloaded and installed on 5th of August. Connecting with target device works without any problems.

Adam
    SEGGER J-Link Commander V6.00e (Compiled Aug 4 2016 09:38:11)
    DLL version V6.00e, compiled Aug 4 2016 09:37:38

Connecting to J-Link via USB...O.K.
    Firmware: J-Link V9 compiled Aug 3 2016 18:50:44
    Hardware version: V9.40
    S/N: 269401759
    License(s): FlashBP, GDB
    OEM: SEGGER-EDU
    VTref = 0.000V

Type "connect" to establish a target connection, '?' for help
    J-Link>power on
    J-Link>power off
    // both power commands works
    Syntax: power <State> [perm]
    J-Link>vcom enable // virtual com port was enabled before this J-Link commander session
    J-Link>power on // it works
    J-Link>vcom disable
    The new configuration applies after power cycling the debug probe. // power was off after this command
    // reconnecting the device
    J-Link>power on // power command don't work
    J-Link>vcom enable
    The connected emulator does not support VCOM functionality. // this is response from J-Link commander
    J-Link>vcom enable
    The connected emulator does not support VCOM functionality.
    J-Link>vcom disable
    J-Link>
    SEGGER J-Link Commander V6.00e (Compiled Aug 4 2016 09:38:11)
    DLL version V6.00e, compiled Aug 4 2016 09:37:38

S/N: 269401759
    VTref = 0.000V

J-Link>power on
    J-Link>power off
    J-Link>vcom enable
    The new configuration applies after power cycling the debug probe.
    // reconnecting... com port is available in Windows
    J-Link>vcom disable
    // reconnecting, com port stil available..
    J-Link>
  • Hi Adam,

J-Link>power on
    J-Link>power off
    Syntax: power <State> [perm]
    J-Link>vcom enable // virtual com port was enabled before this J-Link commander session
    J-Link>power on // it works
    J-Link>vcom disable
    The new configuration applies after power cycling the debug probe. // power was off after this command
    J-Link>vcom enable
    The connected emulator does not support VCOM functionality. // this is response from J-Link commander

After reconnecting the device, you also need to either restart J-link commander or type in "usb" in order to restart communication with the J-Link again.
    Could you please give that a try? I think it will work.

Best regards,
    Niklas
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.
  • Hello,
    reinitializing of USB device after reconnecting sounds reasonable :) But still I can't send anything on TX pin. After enabling virtual com port on J-Link I open com connection on putty terminal and press keys on keyboard. I don't have any reaction on TX pin (or any other pin). Can you check if virtual com port works on Your J-Link? And if it works can You show me step by step how you do that? Maybe I need do some thing not described in J-Link user manual? I don't have any idea why virtual com port don't work. I use FTDI USB - UART converters in the same way and they works without any problems.

Adam
  • Hi,

I have a similar problem with J-Link EDU. Before turning VCOM, J-Link EDU worked properly.

When I turned on the virtual com port ( vcom enable ), J-Link EDU is not working properly. :(

I unplugging and connected the J-Link EDU to the USB port...

pawel@pawel-desktop ~ $ JLinkExe
    SEGGER J-Link Commander V6.00f (Compiled Aug 11 2016 18:34:21)
    DLL version V6.00f, compiled Aug 11 2016 18:34:10

S/N: 269401269
    VTref = 0.000V

J-Link>f
    Unable to retrieve firmware info !

J-Link>usb
    Disconnecting from J-Link...O.K.
    Connecting to J-Link via USB...Updating firmware: J-Link V9 compiled Aug 3 2016 18:50:44
    Replacing firmware: J-Link V9 compiled Oct 12 2012 BTL
    Waiting for new firmware to boot
    FAILED: Could not read J-Link capabilities.
    J-Link>f

J-Link connection not established yet but required for command.
    Connecting to J-Link via USB...FAILED
    J-Link>

sq8mvy, Pawel