[ABANDONED] RTT-Viewer does not work with STM32 via USB

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• [ABANDONED] RTT-Viewer does not work with STM32 via USB

Hello

on my STM32 (stm32F10RB) it only works when the GDB has an active debuggsession.
    Meaning: when i start my device normaly (without debugging) i do not get any RTT-Output.

In comparison the RTT Viewer works great with a Infineon Controller via USB and without a DebugSession.

What do I have to do different to make that work?

regards
  • Hi,

I assume you are referring to the STM32F103RB, correct?
    So far, we are not aware of any special handling you need to do to make RTTViewer working stand-alone (with no active debug session).
    Does your application run correctly if there is no active debug session etc.?

Just wondering because if there is an active debug session or not usually does not matter as long as RTTViewer can connect to the J-Link + target.

Best regards
    Alex
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.
  • Hello

STM32F103RB is correct. The Software works normal, outside the debugger.

I can not connect via USB at all.

I can only connect via "Existing Session". (This only works during debugging)

greetings
  • Hi,

first of all, could you please make sure that you use the most recent J-Link Software and Documentation Pack, which also includes the most recent RTT Viewer and the most recent RTT target source?

Most likely, the RTT Control Block is not found in RAM.
    Therefore, could you please check and screenshot the "RTT" tab of the J-Link control session. (one Screenshot of a working session, one screenshot of a non working session).
    The J-Link Control panel can be opened by clicking the green J-Link icon in the tray area of the task bar (next to the clock).

If it still does not work, could you provide us with a J-Link Logfile?
    Log output can be enabled like as follows:
    • Open a connection to J-Link, e.g start J-Link Commander
    • In J-Link Control Panel: (Click the J-Link symbol located in the notification / tray area in order to open J-Link Control panel)
    • Open the tab "Settings"
    • Next to the field "Log file" check "Override" and click "..." in order to choose a log file path.

This is also described in UM8001 Chapter 5 "Working with J-Link and J-Trace", Section 5.7 "J-Link control panel" .

Best regards,
    Niklas
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.